Gimp-Forum.net
Layers who disappear partially - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Layers who disappear partially (/Thread-Layers-who-disappear-partially)

Pages: 1 2

Layers who disappear partially - thomas.santana - 10-09-2021

Hello.

I'm working to make a map on Gimp, and it's a huge image (16535x7087).

All was fine, i worked a lot on it, and i recently saw that some layers start to disappear partially or completely ! Like, "Amsterdam" became "Amster", or some illustration are cut in half, or some are completely gone

However, i can see that the layers are still complete theorically bc i see the dotted lines who are around the complete size of the layer (and they are still wrote in the layers screen in bottom right of course)

More and more layers are like that as i restart the project to work on it.

So firstly i thinked it was a RAM problem (i have 8GB RAM, and it's written "11.9GB" in the bottom center of the project page), so i copied the project and reduced by two the size of the image (now it's written 2.9GB) BUT the layers are still like that Sad

Also, i just saw that when i modify a text layer, i can like delete a letter and rewrite it, and the complete text appear. I tried to move the non-text layers but nothing changed for them.

Does anyone know this problem ? 

Sorry for the big text, and eventually for my english idk

Thanks !

RE: Layers who disappear partially - rich2005 - 10-10-2021

It could be layers moved outside the canvas. Try enabling View -> Show All and if that has an effect then time to look at your work-flow.

RE: Layers who disappear partially - denzjos - 10-10-2021

Try 'Image / Fit Canvas to Layers'. It makes the 'hidden' image information visible. Then 'Layer / Layer to Image size'

RE: Layers who disappear partially - thomas.santana - 10-10-2021

(10-10-2021, 08:34 AM)rich2005 Wrote: It could be layers moved outside the canvas. Try enabling View -> Show All and if that has an effect then time to look at your work-flow.

I tried, but nothing changed. Some exemple in my screenshot : In the red circles you can see an exemple of layer who disappeared (i selected the calc group to show the dotted lines), in yellow a single letter who disappear (it's not a text layer bc i was made with the "path" feature) and in green it's the same thing, a path "Océan Atlantique" who disappeared.

(10-10-2021, 08:35 AM)denzjos Wrote: Try 'Image / Fit Canvas to Layers'. It makes the 'hidden' image information visible. Then 'Layer / Layer to Image size'

The entire image moved a bit, but nothing happened to the concerned layers Sad
(i showed the result in the second screenshot)

For that top left layer

The layer group drapeaux (flags) is visible. Are all the contents visible ?  It can show like this

[attachment=6825]

Also black and white border - that is a selection ? Why is it selected.

(10-10-2021, 12:55 PM)rich2005 Wrote: For that top left layer

The layer group drapeaux (flags) is visible. Are all the contents visible ?  It can show like this

Also black and white border - that is a selection ? Why is it selected.

Yep i understand but no they are visible. And when i click on each of them i see the dotted lines around them but they are invisible.

Black and white border ? The dotted line who goes around the entire image ? Idk i clicked on "none" (i suppose it's the traduction) in the select menu and now it's gone. (but nothing changed for the layers)

For exemple, here is a screenshot of the situation for the text layers (as i said if a modify one of the letter they go back to the normal situation, but if i have to do it for the entire world... and plus, for the non-text layers it doesn't work). 

It's really weird...

PS : i tried to export the project, and it look like the same.

Quote:.. when i click on each of them i see the dotted lines around them but they are invisible..

Very strange.  Are they (1) zero opacity or (2) unintentionally deleted - blank.

[attachment=6827]

Where did the flags come from originally? Are they a web resource that might be unavailable. Like an emoji or a web font.

Edit: Just seen your updated post. That looks like a missing font problem. Is the original font available?

(10-10-2021, 02:03 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:.. when i click on each of them i see the dotted lines around them but they are invisible..

Very strange.  Are they (1) zero opacity or (2) unintentionally deleted - blank.

Where did the flags come from originally? Are they a web resource that might be unavailable. Like an emoji or a web font.

Edit: Just seen your updated post. That looks like a missing font problem. Is the original font available?

It's not an opacity problem, and the thumbnail is empty as u showed but it's the same for all the layers even the ones who are still there (and it's always like that) so.. i don't think i deleted all this layers unintentionally 

The layers, for the most of them, come from a "copy/paste" from google images, but it's not tied with the web anymore as soon as they are on the project i think. The pixels are copied so even if the image is gone from internet... and it comes from different sources so it would be an incredible non-chance that all this website would be down.

The font is still available. I can write with, and as i said the text come back when i modify it.

Tbh i really don't understand what's happening lol. My intuition would say that it's a performance problem, but idk.

RE: Layers who disappear partially - Ofnuts - 10-11-2021

Can you put the XCF on some share site (DropBox or else) and PM us a link?

RE: Layers who disappear partially - rich2005 - 10-11-2021

As Ofnuts if you can share that problem file.

Quote:...t's not an opacity problem, and the thumbnail is empty as u showed but it's the same for all the layers even the ones who are still there (and it's always like that) so.. i don't think i deleted all this layers unintentionally ...

That is worth a little experiment. Go into one of those empty layers and use the eraser tool with anti-erase enabled, just to see if anything is there: example https://i.imgur.com/o242KoD.mp4

also, which version of Gimp 2.10.xxx You can find it in Help -> About