Gimp-Forum.net
How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? (/Thread-How-to-copy-a-temporary-edit-image-with-changes-to-another-application)

How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - testcb00 - 01-13-2022

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and my target is to replace my old Photoimpact X3.

My usage is just some simple photo editing like adding an arrow or delete some area of the photo.

However, I found that I cannot copy the (edited?) photo directly.

[Image: ekAzq9u.png]
Here is my photo. My step is to use [Rectangle Select Tool] and click [Delete].
When I use [Rectangle Select Tool] to copy the edited photo to Microsoft Word, I find that the photo is not edited.
Do GIMP have this function of merging change before copy to other application?

RE: How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - rich2005 - 01-13-2022

Quote:My usage is just some simple photo editing like adding an arrow or delete some area of the photo.

All very straight forward. There are Gimp plugins to make arrow or pre-made Gimp brushes.

Quote:Here is my photo. My step is to use [Rectangle Select Tool] and click [Delete].

I do not really understand that. A more usual procedure is with the Crop tool. However you can make a selection, then invert the selection, then delete the selection,  leaving what was originally selected area. Then Select -> None Not the best way,

Quote:When I use [Rectangle Select Tool] to copy the edited photo to Microsoft Word, I find that the photo is not edited.

It might be in PhotoImpact that making a selection automatically copies to the clipboard. Not in Gimp
Either  Select -> All  Or  make your selection with one of the selection tools.
then  Edit -> Copy to copy to the clipboard.
Now you can paste (maybe) This Win10 / Gimp 2.10.30 and MS Office.

[attachment=7346]

Are you using a local MS Word or is it a 'Cloud' application ? It might make a difference.

If stuck then once copied, Edit -> Paste as -> New Image 
Does what it says. Then Export that new image as a png or jpeg and use that as a file import in MS Word.

RE: How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - testcb00 - 01-13-2022

Thank you for your reply, rich2005. I apologize that I might mislead you.
My photo are [printscreen] image.

The setup to reproduce the problem:

1. Press printscreen button in Keyboard.
2. In GIMP, click File -> Create -> From clipboard
3. use [Rectangle Select Tool] to select "abcd" and click [Delete].
4. The photo in GIMP will be
[Image: kVTPwZr.png]
5.1 Result
[Image: Sw8DKX5.png]
5.2 Expected result
[Image: P4A82ck.png]

RE: How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - rich2005 - 01-13-2022

That checker pattern is transparency, the alpha chanel

Before anything else, turn that off. Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel

Now you can make the selection and Edit -> Cut
next Select -> None and Edit -> Copy before pasting...where you want to paste.

If you can get see this, 30 second animation: https://i.imgur.com/azBtnCx.mp4

RE: How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - testcb00 - 01-13-2022

(01-13-2022, 07:44 PM)rich2005 Wrote: That checker pattern is transparency, the alpha chanel

Before anything else, turn that off. Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel

Thank you very much, that's what I want.
It seems that there are no option to set "Remove Alpha Channel" by default.
Anyway, I can simple right click toolbox and do the job. Now I can move to GIMP.

RE: How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - Ofnuts - 01-14-2022

(01-13-2022, 08:17 PM)testcb00 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 07:44 PM)rich2005 Wrote: That checker pattern is transparency, the alpha chanel

Thank you very much, that's what I want.
It seems that there are no option to set "Remove Alpha Channel" by default.
Anyway, I can simple right click toolbox and do the job. Now I can move to GIMP.

I didn't quite get it, but I wonder if what you want is "Edit ➤ Copy visible" (that what you see) instead of just "Edit ➤ Copy" (that copys only the active layer).

RE: How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - testcb00 - 01-15-2022

(01-14-2022, 06:27 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I didn't quite get it, but I wonder if what you want is "Edit ➤ Copy visible" (that what you see) instead of just "Edit ➤ Copy" (that copys only the active layer).

I mean, there are no preference options for setting "Remove Alpha Channel" as default option. I have to do "Remove Alpha Channel" for each Printscreen image.

Copy visble cannot do the job for Printscreen image. You can Printscreen and paste the image to GIMP. Use [Rectangle Select Tool] to select some area and delete. Then use [Rectangle Select Tool] to copy a larger area which cover the deleted part, use [Copy visible] and paste to Word. You will find that no part will be deleted.

RE: How to copy a temporary edit image with changes to another application? - Ofnuts - 01-15-2022

Could more a problem with word than with Gimp. This is an image create on IMGUR by using a clipboard copy from Gimp to Firefox: you can check that the middle circle is transparent:

[Image: pbM1uyo.png]