Gimp-Forum.net
Disabling "Expand from Center" shortcut - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Disabling "Expand from Center" shortcut (/Thread-Disabling-Expand-from-Center-shortcut)

Disabling "Expand from Center" shortcut - Executor - 03-07-2022

Hi, I could use some help with dealing with "Expand from center" shortcut. Is there any way to remove this shortcut completely or god-willing completely disable that option? It's making GIMP practically unusable for me.

If you're holding left mouse button clicked, and press ctrl, if will auto enable. This is exceptionally frustrating as I use GIMP to create sprites so a lot of what I do is copy/paste little bits here and here, so I'm constantly selecting parts of an image by dragging the mouse and then clicking ctrl+x/c/v, which mean I auto enable it about 5 times a minute when I'm editing because those actions and the shortcut overlap 100%. It's gotten to the point where I want to downgrade to a much earlier version of GIMP as just about every time I want to select something to copy, I have to toggle "Expand from center" off, which keeps toggling itself on.

Please help. I'm on 2.10.30

RE: Disabling "Expand from Center" shortcut - Ofnuts - 03-11-2022

Not as far as I know, and it has been around for a very long time, because the oldest Gimp doc in the WayBack machine dates from 2004 (so Gimp 2.0) and already mentions this.

OTOH "expand from center" is only a shortcut if you are in the rectangle or ellipse select.

If you describe your work flow we could possibly find ways to optimize it to avoid this.

RE: Disabling "Expand from Center" shortcut - Executor - 03-19-2022

Sorry, didn't realize anyone answered.

Well I didn't use to have this issue with 2.8 version. Maybe they changed the shortcut bindings? I don't know.

Anyway, I do pixel spriting for units for a certain game, which basically just involves moving/mashing tiny parts around. Rectangle select is my primary tool as this type of editing revolves around selecting a few pixels at a time then copying elsewhere and such. 

I've included an example image. You can see that all the sprites in each column have the exact same basis, then various little color variations, alerations and/or accessories. So it involves using rectangle and free select tool to copy a shield over to another spite, to recolor something, delete a few pixels, etc. Even just literally selecting a pixel at a time to move/shade, etc.

A lot of what I do with rectangle select can be done with free select too, or other tools, but it is fairly slower. For example instead of selecting erase tool and then slowly erasing something, it's easier to just ractangle select sometihng in half a sec and cut it out.
So if you've got any helpful tips, I'd be very grateful.

[Image: wY4kh8x.png]

RE: Disabling "Expand from Center" shortcut - PixLab - 03-19-2022

Why will you hit the Ctrl key before finish selecting? IMO it's a lack of coordination, break this habit to not hit that Ctrl key before releasing the left click during a selection, or buy a mouse with more button to assign Ctrl+X/C/V to them

RE: Disabling "Expand from Center" shortcut - Executor - 03-19-2022

It is a lack of coordination, yes. But it's a rather hard habbit to break given there was no need for me to get used to this before, as in it didn't matter if I hit ctrl during selection. So now I have to be quite deliberate about these actions else i forget and then instanly enable expand from centre, which still happens rather fequently to me as I do often use the tool in quick succesion, like moving pixels several times in as many seconds, so the actions will inevitably overlap unless I deliberatly focus on not doing it.

But yeah, good suggestion on mouse bindings. Didn't consider that.

RE: Disabling "Expand from Center" shortcut - PixLab - 03-20-2022

Yes, indeed, it's very hard to break habits, especially when you go as fast as you've described.

Good luck with your habit transition, I hope you will find the best solution.