Gimp-Forum.net
Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? (/Thread-Where-is-Gimp-2-10-30-hiding-in-WIN-10)

Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? - Sweetlunacy - 05-28-2022

The main GIMP 2.10.30 folder IS NOT in my C: Drive/Program files - or- Program files (x86). 

I downloaded from Gimp org, opened the zip file, ran the setup.exe and it works great but the folder is not coming up in any search.  I have view set for all hidden files.

Does anyone know where it could be on WIN 10 or if I'm overlooking something obvious?

RE: Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? - sallyanne - 05-29-2022

Try in Program files 32. I use a 64 bit computer and that is where mine is.
Or you could try..yourname - appdata - roaming. Most of your downloaded programs will be in there.

RE: Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? - rich2005 - 05-29-2022

EDIT Ahh... not reading the post in detail

Quote:...I downloaded from Gimp org, opened the zip file...

zip file ? which zip file from gimp.org ? The windows download is a executable installer gimp-2.10.30-setup.exe

Where did you get that zip file ?

----------------------------

All depends how you installed Gimp.

For the regular Windows installer from gimp.org and the user accepting the one-click install it goes into C:\Program Files\GIMP 2

However if the 'For Me Only' option is selected it installs into C:\Users\your_name\Appdata\Local\Programs\GIMP2

Which same as the GIMP user profile, is in the hidden Appdata folder. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

Going a bit further, and using the Gimp installer customize option, you can install Gimp to some other location, maybe a second disk
or
You might be using a portable Gimp which can be anywhere.

However / Wherever installed, the location should show up by running Gimp then in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders Choose a resource folder and that shows both the location of your user profile and the location of the Gimp installation.

This a custom install to drive F:

[attachment=7999]

RE: Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? - AngelH - 03-13-2023

(05-28-2022, 09:53 PM)Sweetlunacy Wrote: The main GIMP 2.10.30 folder IS NOT in my C: Drive/Program files - or- Program files (x86). 

I downloaded from Gimp org, opened the zip file, ran the setup.exe and it works great but the folder is not coming up in any search.  I have view set for all hidden files.

Does anyone know where it could be on WIN 10 or if I'm overlooking something obvious?

I was just looking for it myself so I could make it an external editor with ACDSee.

I'm on Windows 10 and it was here:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin
and then clicked gimp-2.10

It confused me because it didn't have the .exe on the name.

Now if anyone knows how to backup my settings so when Windows gets reinstalled I don't have to figure that all out all over again, it would be appreciated.

RE: Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? - Ofnuts - 03-14-2023

(03-13-2023, 10:00 PM)AngelH Wrote: I'm on Windows 10 and it was here:

It does... but your file explorer is likely setup to not show file extensions (IIRC this is is the default)

RE: Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? - rich2005 - 03-14-2023

(03-13-2023, 10:00 PM)AngelH Wrote: Now if anyone knows how to backup my settings so when Windows gets reinstalled I don't have to figure that all out all over again, it would be appreciated.

Gimp stores your user settings in a "Gimp User profile"

In Windows it is usually C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

Appdata is a hidden folder so check with https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10 to make it visible.

If you go back to post#4 , the screenshot of Edit -> Preferences -> Folders shows the location of your User Profile - the first line.

For a backup, which is never a bad idea, backup that ...\GIMP\2.10 folder structure.

Please note.
If the Gimp User Profile does not exist, Gimp will create a new default version when Gimp is first run.
If you uninstall Gimp, the User Profile remains untouched.
If you re-install Gimp, the User Profile remains untouched.
If you update Gimp, the User Profile remains untouched.

If you screw-up your settings (and it is the user who does this not Gimp), delete that user profile and restore your working User Profile backup.

RE: Where is Gimp 2.10.30 hiding in WIN 10? - AngelH - 03-18-2023

(03-14-2023, 09:17 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 10:00 PM)AngelH Wrote: Now if anyone knows how to backup my settings so when Windows gets reinstalled I don't have to figure that all out all over again, it would be appreciated.

Gimp stores your user settings in a "Gimp User profile"

In Windows it is usually C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

Appdata is a hidden folder so check with https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10 to make it visible.

If you go back to post#4 , the screenshot of Edit -> Preferences -> Folders shows the location of your User Profile - the first line.

For a backup, which is never a bad idea, backup that ...\GIMP\2.10 folder structure.

Please note.
If the Gimp User Profile does not exist, Gimp will create a new default version when Gimp is first run.
If you uninstall Gimp, the User Profile remains untouched.
If you re-install Gimp, the User Profile remains untouched.
If you update Gimp, the User Profile remains untouched.

If you screw-up your settings (and it is the user who does this not Gimp), delete that user profile and restore your working User Profile backup.

Hi Rich,
Thank you for sharing where and what to look for to get back my user settings for GIMP. Wink Wink Wink
But how does one get it all back? What I mean is if GIMP is reinstalled etc, how do I get these settings back?

Right now they are empty folders because Windows was just reinstalled... what a pain!
Thank you,
Angel

(03-14-2023, 12:27 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 10:00 PM)AngelH Wrote: I'm on Windows 10 and it was here:

It does... but your file explorer is likely setup to not show file extensions (IIRC this is is the default)

You were right. That was the reason.
Thank you for that info. Smile Smile Smile