Gimp-Forum.net
Problem with the selective tool - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Problem with the selective tool (/Thread-Problem-with-the-selective-tool)

Problem with the selective tool - Pierre_Simard - 07-07-2022

Hello wonderfull person,

When I use any "selective tool" (lacet; square; etc) and I want to add more selection, I can't add it to my previous selection (event while using "shift")...  It really problematic (time consuming) because I have to do one selection at a time, extract it and do it again with the next selection....

HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Pierre

RE: Problem with the selective tool - programmer_ceds - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 03:08 PM)Pierre_Simard Wrote: Hello wonderfull person,

When I use any "selective tool" (lacet; square; etc) and I want to add more selection, I can't add it to my previous selection (event while using "shift")...  It really problematic (time consuming) because I have to do one selection at a time, extract it and do it again with the next selection....

HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Pierre

Have you tried clicking on the "Add to the current selection" button in the selection modes section of the tool options window? Holding "shift" should work but try this other approach.

RE: Problem with the selective tool - Pierre_Simard - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 04:43 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 03:08 PM)Pierre_Simard Wrote: Hello wonderfull person,

HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Pierre

Have you tried clicking on the "Add to the current selection" button in the selection modes section of the tool options window? Holding "shift" should work but try this other approach.

It kinda work. I can add selection, but with the "selective lacet (not the selective square/round)", I have to change tool and come back to the lacet before adding a other selection. 

But it already better than what I was able before.

Thanks again

Pierre

RE: Problem with the selective tool - Ofnuts - 07-07-2022

In Gimp 2.10 you have to "commit" your selection in some tools (such as the Lasso) (because you can adjust it before leaving the tool). This is automatic if you change tools but within a given tool you can usually hit the [Enter]/[⤶] key or double-click inside the selection to commit it without leaving the tool.

Also, this: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Painless-use-of-selection-tools

RE: Problem with the selective tool - programmer_ceds - 07-08-2022

@ Pierre - just to check the obvious - are you holding Shift down at least until you start to make the selection with the mouse?

RE: Problem with the selective tool - PixLab - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 12:38 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: @ Pierre - just to check the obvious - are you holding Shift down at least until you start to make the selection with the mouse?

With the Free Select Tool SelectFree  and the Scissor Select Tool Iscissors  like said @Ofnuts, the OP do need to hit [Enter] to commit its selection, OP can hold [Shift] as much as he want it won't work to add/subtract/intersect with another selection ➤ until he commits its previous selection.

SelectEllipse SelectRect SelectByColor SelectFuzzy You don't need to commit, it just works (I just tried them all to be sure Big Grin )

(07-07-2022, 07:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: ..///... hit the [Enter]/[⤶] key or double-lick inside the ...///....

You, you've clicked on those cyrillic spam... Big Grin  Big Grin

RE: Problem with the selective tool - programmer_ceds - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 01:39 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 12:38 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: @ Pierre - just to check the obvious - are you holding Shift down at least until you start to make the selection with the mouse?

With the Free Select Tool SelectFree  and the Scissor Select Tool Iscissors  like said @Ofnuts, the OP do need to hit [Enter] to commit its selection, OP can hold [Shift] as much as he want it won't work to add/subtract/intersect with another selection ➤ until he commits its previous selection.
@PixLab
My point about holding the Shift key was made because the OP had said that it worked for the rectangle and circular selection tools if they set the selection mode to "add" - and if it works with the mode selected then it should also work with Shift pressed.

RE: Problem with the selective tool - PixLab - 07-09-2022

(07-08-2022, 04:43 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 01:39 PM)PixLab Wrote:

@PixLab
My point about holding the Shift key was made because the OP had said that it worked for the rectangle and circular selection tools if they set the selection mode to "add" - and if it works with the mode selected then it should also work with Shift pressed.

Indeed, [Shift] works without committing on ellipse and rectangle.

RE: Problem with the selective tool - Pierre_Simard - 07-11-2022

Yes    Smile