Gimp-Forum.net
Text Box - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Text Box (/Thread-Text-Box)

Text Box - sallyanne - 07-13-2022

Are there any significant changes in the text box in the latest version of gimp as to how text comes out? I have looked at everything I can think of. Need to give an answer to a member of another forum who is getting dashes when their words are just too long. I think it might be that the text box is just too small or the font is too large.
Says he cannot do multiple lines in one text box.

RE: Text Box - rich2005 - 07-13-2022

Quote:..I think it might be that the text box is just too small or the font is too large.
Says he cannot do multiple lines in one text box.

I do not understand that last bit Wink

I recall questions to the developers about Gimp hyphenation some time ago, seem to think that it involves the pango text handling library and as such not in dev control. No way I can see to turn it off.

Just checked a Gimp 2.99.10 dev version and just the same as Gimp 2.10.32 Change the size of the text box and hyphenation is imposed.

For anyone who has not come across auto-hyphenation it look like this:

[attachment=8288]

...and that is not always the best place for the word break.

Possibilities:

1. Put the hyphen in a better place for readability, that overrides the auto hyphen (at least it does here)
2. Break the word with a line break (enter key) Better to use Shift-Enter for a 'soft' line break. Supposed to preserve paragraph formatting.

[attachment=8289]

RE: Text Box - sallyanne - 07-13-2022

He says he is trying to do short words like
DO
RE
ME
FA
Would the language make any difference? I think he is using Italian, but surely not?
Anyway thanks. I'll mention this to him

RE: Text Box - rich2005 - 07-13-2022

I would have thought that a line break (Enter key) between each word (much as you must have done above) is the way to go.

RE: Text Box - Ofnuts - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 10:51 AM)sallyanne Wrote: He says he is trying to do short words like
DO
RE
ME
FA
Would the language make any difference? I think he is using Italian, but surely not?

Do/Re/Mi/Fa are the name of the music notes in romance languages (C/D/E/F).

Are the underscores really underscores or characters that look like underscores?

It would also help to know exactly which Gimp version, and if on Linux, which OS version, because these things depend on the Pango library and the successive Gimp 2.10 builds have raised the bar on the minimal required Pango version, possibly to fix these kinds of bugs.

RE: Text Box - sallyanne - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 12:25 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 10:51 AM)sallyanne Wrote: He says he is trying to do short words like
DO
RE
ME
FA

Do/Re/Mi/Fa are the name of the music notes in romance languages (C/D/E/F).

Are the underscores really underscores or characters that look like underscores?

It would also help to know exactly which Gimp version, and if on Linux, which OS version, because these things depend on the Pango library and the successive Gimp 2.10 builds have raised the bar on the minimal required Pango version, possibly to fix these kinds of bugs.
I said 'like'. That's all I could think of at the time Wink  I don't think he wants those words. The one he gave me was 1 word broken up into two letter syllables. 

Yeah, takes some people awhile to learn about the Shift/enter thingy. I was using a computer long time before I learnt it.

@Rich I gave him your answer and he is going to use it. Says thanks.