Gimp-Forum.net
Select option changing to intersect - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Select option changing to intersect (/Thread-Select-option-changing-to-intersect)

Pages: 1 2

Select option changing to intersect - Jeremy_Ray - 09-13-2022

Often when I switch to the free select tool, I find it has switched itself into intersect mode.  This appears to also be the case for the rectangle select tool.  This may be more of a general problem with tool options automatically changing over to the right most position, as the move tool is switching into path mode on it's own too.  I've tried setting them to the left most option, going into edit>preferences and saving the tool options.  It didn't help.  What could I be doing that would change the options on multiple tools that aren't selected?

RE: Select option changing to intersect - rich2005 - 09-13-2022

Gimp on its own does not decide anything. Up to the user to make those decisions.

What it does do, by default, is remember the last used settings and each tool keeps its own settings.
Rectangular select in replace mode and if sometime in the past you set free-select in intersect mode or move in paths mode.

If you change back to replace mode for each, then these save when Gimp is closed.

If that does not happen then maybe something stuck in your Gimp user profile.

try: Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options then Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values

It is possible to set Gimp up so that the tool settings are fixed when Gimp first starts. There is a on/off toggle in Tool Options "Save tool options on exit"

RE: Select option changing to intersect - Ofnuts - 09-13-2022

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Managing-tool-options-and-window-positions

RE: Select option changing to intersect - Jeremy_Ray - 09-15-2022

(09-13-2022, 07:35 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Gimp on its own does not decide anything. Up to the user to make those decisions.

Something is making these options randomly and frequently change. I've been using GIMP for 20 years and I have never seen this behavior. I changed OS's to OpenSuse a few months ago because Kubuntu introduced a bug that was crashing Blender. OpenSuse is the only variable I can think of. I'm wondering what input would make GIMP change the tool options, perhaps OpenSuse is sending it somehow. Maybe it's the rub strips on my Cintiq doing it. It would help if I knew what command could change the options on tools that aren't selected.

I've tried fixing the problem with "save tool options now." The problems continue during the same GIMP session, after setting up the tools the way I want them and saving the options. I'm making sure to set the options first for both the mouse and the stylus, just to be sure.

RE: Select option changing to intersect - PixLab - 09-15-2022

You might Ctrl+Shift while using a filter and the select tool is active or Ctrl+Shift to soon before switching tool or some fast habit with Ctrl+Shift

RE: Select option changing to intersect - Ofnuts - 09-15-2022

(09-15-2022, 01:58 AM)Jeremy_Ray Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 07:35 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Gimp on its own does not decide anything. Up to the user to make those decisions.

Something is making these options randomly and frequently change. 

Could be a failing keyboard? These things show up in Gimp before any other app.

RE: Select option changing to intersect - Jeremy_Ray - 09-17-2022

I've experimented with CTRL-SHIFT with the tools selected - if the normal mode is selected, all combinations of ctrl and shift are temporary. The tool returns to normal when they are released.

In the behavior I am observing, the select tools permanently switch to intersect mode. Until I select normal mode - but they soon return to intersect mode.

I wonder if num lock is causing this? I just noticed that it's been on this whole time. I've turned it off, will see what happens.

O.K., I finally caught it in the act - it's the shell script remapping my Cintiq buttons that's doing it. It worked fine under Kubuntu but there's a problem in OpenSuse. Maybe I can solve the problem by configuring the Cintiq in System Settings instead of using the shell script.

Still not there - I got rid of the shell script but shift and ctrl still cause problems when used from the Cintiq buttons.

RE: Select option changing to intersect - rich2005 - 09-18-2022

Digging out my old Wacom Wink

I can get (say) rectangular selection stuck on (say) intersect mode since Gimp by default keeps the settings between sessions.

To reset have you tried in Edit -> Preferences

Tool Options -> Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values
and
Input Devices -> Reset Saved Input Device Settings to Default Values

That works on my installation.
--------

Otherwise how are the stylus buttons set up ? 

[attachment=8696]

ie button 1 - set to ctrl ?