Gimp-Forum.net
Font size - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Font size (/Thread-Font-size)

Font size - carolaro - 02-05-2023

Ok I'm very new to using Gimp 2.10.32. I'm having trouble getting my font big enough.  I started with a transparent background 1080x1080 and imported homemade apple font from google fonts. Now I make a text box that is just barely smaller than the transparent background and I type a + sign into the box. The problem is it doesn't fill the box it just takes up maybe 1/9th of the text box.  So then I try and just up the font size.  I increase it and the plus sign moves downward in the box until it's at the bottom left corner of the background but it's still not nearly big enough so I choose the select tool to move it back up to the upper left corner to continue raising the font size. This is the point I'm stuck, The edit text box widget that is normally at the top of the text box is off the screen at this point because the text box is so big, so I can't increase the font anymore in the box.  Any help would be fantastic. Basically my end goal is to have the + to cover most of the background, centered, with slight margins on all sides.  Please and thankyou!

RE: Font size - denzjos - 02-05-2023

The font layer dimensions are normal, that's because other characters as a 'g' or a 'd' need more space to fit in the same line. I think the transparent layer dimensions are to small. A few options :
- use a larger transparent canvas size ( Image / Canvas Size, change the dimensions )
Using a larger canvas, you can always crop it after you made your composition ( use the crop tool )  
- use your canvas size and use 'show all' ( View / Show All )

[attachment=9333]

RE: Font size - PixLab - 02-05-2023

To add to the @denzjos explanations,

(02-05-2023, 07:02 AM)carolaro Wrote: This is the point I'm stuck, The edit text box widget that is normally at the top of the text box is off the screen at this point because the text box is so big, so I can't increase the font anymore in the box.

don't use that text box widget to increase the size out of proportions, but use the Tool Options text instead, and maybe instead of having the "Box" set at "Fixed" select "Dynamic"

[attachment=9338]

RE: Font size - carolaro - 02-06-2023

(02-05-2023, 03:57 PM)PixLab Wrote: To add to the @denzjos explanations,

(02-05-2023, 07:02 AM)carolaro Wrote: This is the point I'm stuck, The edit text box widget that is normally at the top of the text box is off the screen at this point because the text box is so big, so I can't increase the font anymore in the box.

don't use that text box widget to increase the size out of proportions, but use the Tool Options text instead, and maybe instead of having the "Box" set at "Fixed" select "Dynamic"

Thank you so much for the advice! I'll definitely try that!

(02-05-2023, 09:26 AM)denzjos Wrote: The font layer dimensions are normal, that's because other characters as a 'g' or a 'd' need more space to fit in the same line. I think the transparent layer dimensions are to small. A few options :
- use a larger transparent canvas size ( Image / Canvas Size, change the dimensions )
Using a larger canvas, you can always crop it after you made your composition ( use the crop tool )  
- use your canvas size and use 'show all' ( View / Show All )

Thanks!!! That helps a lot, I'll reply back with the results!

RE: Font size - carolaro - 02-06-2023

Thanks so much everyone I did it!!! I ended up using a rotated X instead of the + because when you blow it up it's too thick compared to the C.  Here's the finished result! It's supposed to be a logo of my initials the C stands for it's self and the cross creates an A on the left side of the C.