Gimp-Forum.net
Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) (/Thread-Some-questions-about-layers-transparency-newlayerfromimagedragenddrop)

Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) - mzoltan32 - 02-05-2023

So it seems to me that when i do drag and drop in 2.10 onto the layer panel i get a new layer with the image i drag and dropped but i can no longer set up with layer properties a one parameter which sais "transparency" in hungarian (being filled with transparency or such normally when making a new layer this is the bottom most attribute)

Additionally i would like to ask, how to drag and drop and fill up a layer with an image which layer was already made. I tryed highlighting the layer and making the second (only other) layer invisible, and dragging and dropping onto the canvas now only showing that transparency fill option selected layer. Well this way it also creates a new layer however this way it shows up correctly on the combined image (as i intend it anyway).

RE: Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) - rich2005 - 02-05-2023

Quote:So it seems to me that when i do drag and drop in 2.10 onto the layer panel i get a new layer with the image i drag and dropped but i can no longer set up with layer properties a one parameter which sais "transparency"

Not too sure about either question.

For dragging and dropping a layer,
1) Into to Gimp Toolbox to open as a new image
or
2) Into another image to add as a layer

Check that the pixel lock is off otherwise you can not add an alpha channel.

[attachment=9336]

and a 50 second example of that: https://i.imgur.com/M5O3eIO.mp4

It might help if you post a screenshot of the problem.

RE: Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) - PixLab - 02-05-2023

If you want that a layer got transparency each time you import an image, go to Edit > Preferences, a window opens, go to Image Import & Export and check that box saying "Add an alpha channel to imported images"

[attachment=9337]

RE: Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) - mzoltan32 - 02-05-2023

(02-05-2023, 03:41 PM)PixLab Wrote: If you want that a layer got transparency each time you import an image, go to Edit > Preferences, a window opens, go to Image Import & Export and check that box saying "Add an alpha channel to imported images"

i am not sure if that works for my purpose.
Basically when i drag and drop onto the panel with layers it adds a new layer. To begin with i would like the image to be present on an already existing layer.
Anyway, what it does is that i get a new layer with the image i drag and dropped and when both the original layer and this new layer is visible and no settings changed, it just shows the clear white drawing layer i set up by changing basic settings with the creation of the file.

WHEN I DRAG AND DROP into an existing layer opened in the main window with the drawing layer i intend being hidden, it still creates a new layer but now when i uncheck the hide thing (check the show checkbox?) at layers panel, it shows both the clear white and superimposed on it the image.

BUT what i think is that as i added this second layer onto which the drag and dropping happened (and created a new layer anyway), i could set up a setting on the very bottom which sais Fill with: Transparency.

note that with the other method when the picture doesn't show up in combination i could alter a slide of transparency (or how it is stated "Untransparency") the layers partially show up although with half saturation or so, which is not what i want.. Because i like the other results better (however i would prefer the image appearing in the layer i set up manually for that).

RE: Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) - PixLab - 02-05-2023

When you drag n drop an image on the canvas (the main place in the center of GIMP), if there is NO layer, it will open as the "Background" layer

Example:
[attachment=9339]

When you drag n drop an image on the canvas OR inside the layer stack/dialog, if there is ALREADY a layer in it, the image will always open as a new layer

Example:
[attachment=9340]

Quote: To begin with i would like the image to be present on an already existing layer.
This will never happen and I don't know a software like GIMP (Photoshop, Affinity, etc...) which does that, a lot of people will want to kill the developers of that software if it behaves like this.

But... you can merge down that drag n dropped new layer with the Background if you wish by clicking that icon
Example:
[attachment=9341]

Quote: Anyway, what it does is that i get a new layer with the image i drag and dropped and when both the original layer and this new layer is visible and no settings changed, it just shows the clear white drawing layer i set up by changing basic settings with the creation of the file.

So you drag n dropped your image in the layer's stack/dialog and you dropped it underneath the already existing layer
Example: See that thin line under the "Background" layer (in the red rectangle), this where the layer I'm dragging will go if I release the click now, you do need to move up while dragging until that thin line is above the background layer, or drop that image in the canvas and it will be above the background layer
[attachment=9342]

Last but not the least!
The “Layers” dialog is the main interface to edit, modify and manage your layers.
Understanding the layers' dialog is certainly the most important concept to grab before every thing else > https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html
In Hungarian > https://docs-gimp-org.translate.goog/2.10/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html?_x_tr_sl=en&_x_tr_tl=hu&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

RE: Some questions about layers (transparency,newlayerfromimagedragenddrop) - mzoltan32 - 02-05-2023

(02-05-2023, 04:44 PM)PixLab Wrote: When you drag n drop an image on the canvas (the main place in the center of GIMP), if there is NO layer, it will open as the "Background" layer

Example:

When you drag n drop an image on the canvas OR inside the layer stack/dialog, if there is ALREADY a layer in it, the image will always open as a new layer

Example:

Quote: To begin with i would like the image to be present on an already existing layer.
This will never happen and I don't know a software like GIMP (Photoshop, Affinity, etc...) which does that, a lot of people will want to kill the developers of that software if it behaves like this.

But... you can merge down that drag n dropped new layer with the Background if you wish by clicking that icon
Example:

Quote: Anyway, what it does is that i get a new layer with the image i drag and dropped and when both the original layer and this new layer is visible and no settings changed, it just shows the clear white drawing layer i set up by changing basic settings with the creation of the file.

So you drag n dropped your image in the layer's stack/dialog and you dropped it underneath the already existing layer
Example: See that thin line under the "Background" layer (in the red rectangle), this where the layer I'm dragging will go if I release the click now, you do need to move up while dragging until that thin line is above the background layer, or drop that image in the canvas and it will be above the background layer

Last but not the least!
The “Layers” dialog is the main interface to edit, modify and manage your layers.  
Understanding the layers' dialog is certainly the most important concept to grab before every thing else > https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html

Right. Thank you!