Gimp-Forum.net
Why don’t my custom palettes persist? - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Why don’t my custom palettes persist? (/Thread-Why-don%E2%80%99t-my-custom-palettes-persist)

Why don’t my custom palettes persist? - tomory - 06-06-2023

Hi, everyone,

I created a custom palette for a design I’m creating but when I quit and reopen The Gimp, it’s not in the list. This has happened twice in a row now. Do I need to do something special to make Gimp save my custom palette?

It’s not a huge deal because my design has only five colors in it. Still, it’s inconvenient to have to keep recreating it.

(I’m using Gimp 2.10.34 revision 1 on Mac OS Ventura.)

Thanks.

RE: Why don’t my custom palettes persist? - Ofnuts - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 07:05 PM)tomory Wrote: Hi, everyone,

I created a custom palette for a design I’m creating but when I quit and reopen The Gimp, it’s not in the list. This has happened twice in a row now. Do I need to do something special to make Gimp save my custom palette?

It’s not a huge deal because my design has only five colors in it. Still, it’s inconvenient to have to keep recreating it.

Thanks.

How do you create the palette and add it to Gimp's collection?

RE: Why don’t my custom palettes persist? - tomory - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 07:22 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 07:05 PM)tomory Wrote: Hi, everyone,

Thanks.

How do you create the palette and add it to Gimp's collection?

In the Palettes tab (Windows ➞ Dockable Dialogs ➞ Palettes), I click the “+”,

[attachment=9894]

which brings up the Palette Editor:

[attachment=9895]

I add the desired colors and give the palette a name. I verify that the new palette name is in the list on the Palettes tab:

[attachment=9896]

I close the Palette Editor and verify that the new palette is still listed. I double-click on the palette’s name in the list on the Palettes tab to open it again in the Palette Editor, and I verify that it contains the colors that I added to it. I close it again. So far, so good, but after I quit Gimp and come back some time later, the new palette is gone.

Thanks again.

P.S., sorry if my screenshots are double-sized. It’s a side effect of taking screenshots on a retina display; they may or may not render at the correct size on your screen.

RE: Why don’t my custom palettes persist? - Tas_mania - 06-06-2023

This is a long shot but in Edit > Preferences > Folders > Palettes
are the local and global locations checked as writable?

RE: Why don’t my custom palettes persist? - sallyanne - 06-06-2023

Never had any trouble making new pallettes.
It probably wont be in the correct alphabetical order at first. I just did another one, closed gimp, opened it and the new pallette came up showing near the top even though it was the wrong position alphabetically.

RE: Why don’t my custom palettes persist? - Ofnuts - 06-07-2023

And you can navigate to theses directories/folders and see if the palette file has been created there (it should be easy to spot as being the most recent)....

RE: Why don’t my custom palettes persist? - rich2005 - 06-07-2023

Just my two euros worth.

Quote:I close the Palette Editor and verify that the new palette is still listed. I double-click on the palette’s name in the list on the Palettes tab to open it again in the Palette Editor, and I verify that it contains the colors that I added to it. I close it again. So far, so good, but after I quit Gimp and come back some time later, the new palette is gone.

You can check, but the palette something.gpl is not written to file, until Gimp is closed.

I do not have a MacOS (of any version - my VM no longer works) but I do recall that not all folders were created on installation. Do you have an actual palettes folder in your Gimp user profile. /Users/{your_id}/Library/GIMP/2.10/palettes ?

Next question if the folder exists, is it writable ?