Gimp-Forum.net
Creating Solid Noise between 2 colours - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Creating Solid Noise between 2 colours (/Thread-Creating-Solid-Noise-between-2-colours)

Creating Solid Noise between 2 colours - fluffypanda - 11-19-2023

Can someone tell me how to create solid noise between 2 colours preferably between 2 greys (for creating heightmaps such as hills) 
having too much bright white makes very steep hills
I am using using filters - render- noise - solid noise 
Thanks  Shy

[Image: Xn1cuJB.png][Image: P6xwhLz.png]

RE: Creating Solid Noise between 2 colours - Ofnuts - 11-19-2023

• Create a layer filled with Valleys color
  • Create a layer filled with Hills colors
  • Add a layer mask to the top one
  • Fill the layer mask with solid noise
  • Threshold the solid noise to taste to get the hills/valleys ratio you want
[attachment=10622]

RE: Creating Solid Noise between 2 colours - fluffypanda - 11-20-2023

thanks ofnutsSmile

The noise it created looks perfect, I just have one more hurdle

The light gray roads in the picture 2nd picture are also the lowest point of the heightmap(darkest grey colour) 

If I was to use the the free select tool what would be the best way to blend it in with the roads so that its smooth?   
(as you can see in the picture the roads ended up a lighter grey which would make them really high up and not blended well)
Would you please have any solutions? thank you again [Image: 8YFQjMn.png]

[Image: 8md0cnT.png][Image: moQV5GI.png]

RE: Creating Solid Noise between 2 colours - Ofnuts - 11-20-2023

I don't quite understand the question... If you want the roads to "miraculously" end up in valleys (or more accurately want to make sure there will be valleys around the roads) there is a solution.

[attachment=10629]

Is that what you want?

RE: Creating Solid Noise between 2 colours - fluffypanda - 11-20-2023

That's exactly what I'm after sorry for the confusion... Smile

Would you also know I'm making a gimp pattern 100x100 ,
I paint 255 red then I save it as pattern1.jpg. If I reopen the file it is changing the red to 254. Something is causes the red to change from 255 to 254.

RE: Creating Solid Noise between 2 colours - Ofnuts - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 12:53 PM)fluffypanda Wrote: That's exactly what I'm after sorry for the confusion... Smile

* Create the solid noise in a layer
* Create the road as paths
* Add a layer, fill with white, and stroke the roads as relatively wide (30px, above) lines
* Apply a Gaussian blur to the lines, just enough to keep their center black
* Set the blurred lines to "Multiply" mode, and merge down in the solid noise.

Then go as above, but use the noise+lines layer as the initial mask (you can copy it to a channel, or copy/paste it to the mask)

* Stroke the path as lines on a new layer for the roads, and maybe decrease the opacity.

(11-20-2023, 12:53 PM)fluffypanda Wrote: Would you also know I'm making a gimp pattern 100x100 ,
I paint 255 red then I save it as pattern1.jpg.  If I reopen the file it is changing the red to 254.  Something is causes the red to change from 255 to 254.

Well, you said it, JPEG. What quality? Why not PNG?