Gimp-Forum.net
New to gimp, having trouble importing images - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: New to gimp, having trouble importing images (/Thread-New-to-gimp-having-trouble-importing-images)

New to gimp, having trouble importing images - Thereaper214! - 11-20-2023

I am new to gimp and having some troubles viewing/editing the images in the same way as the tutorial I am following. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0T_Jj_6n2E

As seen in the first couple seconds of the video, I should be able to drag and drop an image on top of a new layer, once I have created a blank 1920x1080 layer. This was working but I think I changed one of my settings so this is no longer happening! I tried to reset all settings to default but have not had any luck. Could someone please provide some insight.

Steps:
Open Gimp -> File -> New -> Ok -> drag and drop image from finder

Feel free to judge. I could be stupid!

RE: New to gimp, having trouble importing images - rich2005 - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 08:55 AM)Thereaper214! Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0T_Jj_6n2E

As seen in the first couple seconds of the video, I should be able to drag and drop an image on top of a new layer, once I have created a blank 1920x1080 layer. This was working but I think I changed one of my settings so this is no longer happening! I tried to reset all settings to default but have not had any luck. 
Steps:  Open Gimp -> File -> New -> Ok -> drag and drop image from finder

Difficult to see, your screen makes the added layer look more like a copy / pasted layer (1) than a dropped-in layer (2).

[attachment=10627]

There is a setting to turn off layer dock previews but that applies to all layers including the background layer. ..so I do not think it is that.  

You copied something from a video ? Can you save that capture as an actual image, a jpeg or a png ?

Instead of drag-n-drop use Gimp File  -> Open as Layers for that image.

RE: New to gimp, having trouble importing images - Ofnuts - 11-20-2023

Also, depends where you drop. If you drop on the canvas (where the image is displayed) this adds a layer in the current image. If you drop on the toolbox, this opens the dropped image as a new image.

RE: New to gimp, having trouble importing images - sallyanne - 11-26-2023

Don't undertand it either. If you did as ofnuts said, dragged to the toolbox it would open another tab - image. And it doesn't look to have.
I just tried it and it happened fine. Doesn't have "make a new layer down the bottom, or anchor?'"

RE: New to gimp, having trouble importing images - PixLab - 11-26-2023

(11-20-2023, 08:55 AM)Thereaper214! Wrote: I should be able to drag and drop an image on top of a new layer, once I have created a blank 1920x1080 layer.
Steps:
Open Gimp -> File -> New -> Ok -> drag and drop image from finder

Feel free to judge. I could be stupid!

I confirm that you can drag and drop directly from Finder(*) to the layer's stack (layer's dialog) if an image is already opened (or created), even better you can place it directly where you want in the stack.

Having said that, That is indeed quite a strange behavior.. and it does not look like it's a copy/paste because you got the name of the picture instead of the name "Floating selection" and the icon is not the one for a "Floating selection" but more like the one for a layer like on your Move Tool (see below)

[attachment=10664]

Also we can clearly see that the name "Birmingham" looks like it is written in bold, if so it does not have an alpha channel, BUT I tried even with an indexed image and it worked fine for me to drag from the file manager/Finder/whatnot > and drop directly to the layer's dialog (to be sure), thus that's not a clue.

Thus I don't understand what's happening to you, as it works fine for me dropping directly in the layer's dialog, you might need to reset your setting and/or preferences... (does it works after hitting the Return key?)

to reset all your GIMP's profile, close GIMP (really close it via the GIMP top menu) then go to Library/GIMP/2.10/ rename the folder "2.10" by "2.10.bak" then start GIMP, GIMP will recreate the folder 2.10
More about GIMP profile > https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfile/

(*) AKA Caja for the MATE DE on Linux, Window Explorer? for the M$ Windows system

RE: New to gimp, having trouble importing images - rich2005 - 11-26-2023

Quote:I confirm that you can drag and drop directly from Finder(*) to the layer's stack (layer's dialog) ...snip...
(*) AKA Caja for the MATE DE on Linux, Window Explorer? for the M$ Windows system

Wink Did you actually do this in a MacOS ? I am sure it does work.

If you look at the video that was referenced, 22 minutes but you only need the first couple of minutes.

A video file is opened in VLC
A frame is captured using VLC snapshot - a typical graphic file vlcsnap-long-time-stamp.jpg - nothing special there.
The graphics file is dragged from the filemanager ( Finder) into the canvas (not the layers).

Why people make videos with a black theme and almost impossible to follow I do not know (that is a rhetorical question).

[attachment=10665]

..That dropped in graphic is the vlcsnap file not birmingham...something ?  Gimp uses a magick number to identify a file type, so that birmingham file must be recognised. I have tried all-ways to break a file so that icon appears without luck.

My guess is a broken file or possibly a MacOS security "feature" - I do not know.

RE: New to gimp, having trouble importing images - PixLab - 11-28-2023

(11-26-2023, 10:32 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:I confirm that you can drag and drop directly from Finder(*) to the layer's stack (layer's dialog) ...snip...

Wink Did you actually do this in a MacOS ? I am sure it does work.

If you look at the video that was referenced, 22 minutes but you only need the first couple of minutes.

A video file is opened in VLC
A frame is captured using VLC snapshot - a typical graphic file vlcsnap-long-time-stamp.jpg - nothing special there.
The graphics file is dragged from the filemanager ( Finder) into the canvas (not the layers).

Why people make videos with a black theme and almost impossible to follow I do not know (that is a rhetorical question).

..That dropped in graphic is the vlcsnap file not birmingham...something ?  Gimp uses a magick number to identify a file type, so that birmingham file must be recognised. I have tried all-ways to break a file so that icon appears without luck.

My guess is a broken file or possibly a MacOS security "feature" - I do not know.

Hi Rich, please give me 24h, at work I have a minimac with Catalina (I'm not working today Big Grin ), I'll try it on the minimac removing the "all files/all drive" access to GIMP which were the default setting when installing GIMP.

RE: New to gimp, having trouble importing images - PixLab - 11-30-2023

So today I did try on a Mac with Catalina, and I can comfirm that it might be a corrupted file, because drag and drop directly from Finder, works as it should, and I don't think it's a right problem because I did also try with a DMG that I did not install but opened from the virtual drive and same it works as it should (I did learn something, though, it reset your preferences on the installed GIMP when you open from the virtual drive)

15-second video > https://imgur.com/F2PkcKY