Gimp-Forum.net
Making a precise blurry border - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Making a precise blurry border (/Thread-Making-a-precise-blurry-border)

Making a precise blurry border - Espermaschine - 12-03-2017

Finished my season's greetings image yesterday and the thing i surprisingly struggled the most with was getting the vignette/blurry outline right.

Lets say i want something like this:

[attachment=1038]

and i want perfect control over every detail of my blurry border. I want a certain area to be opaque, the rest blurry and i want to perfectly control how far the blurry region reaches.
How would you do this ?

Shrinking and feathering doesnt give me very predictable results....

I tried to solve the problem by reversing the approach:
shrunk a selection, inverted, activated the quick mask then blurred and manipulated with the curves tool.
Its still not the perfect solution.

[attachment=1040]

Stars on transparent background for examples.
[attachment=1037]

RE: Making a precise blurry area - Ofnuts - 12-03-2017

Fir this kind of adjustments, I would use a layer mask filled with a "shaped" gradient:

[attachment=1041]

and then use Curves. For the perfectionnist who has hoarded my script repositories, you can also generate this kind of mask (initially as a layer) with path to shape (two rounded squares, outer and inner), path-inbetweener (20 paths) and stroke-or-fill-visible-paths using a gradient. Then use as above with curves.

[attachment=1042]

Same mask, different curves:

[attachment=1043]
[attachment=1044]

RE: Making a precise blurry area - Espermaschine - 12-03-2017

I like the method with the square gradient !
The bevelled corners can be smoothed out with Gaussian Blur.

[attachment=1045]

Maybe its also possible to layer several copies of the same blur and "compress" them to various levels...

Is Gaussian Blur a pixel value ?
I mean if i blur by 30, does that mean the blur goes 30pixels ?
It seems its twice that value.

(12-03-2017, 10:50 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: and then use Curves. For the perfectionnist who has hoarded my script repositories, you can also generate this kind of mask (initially as a layer) with path to shape (two rounded squares, outer and inner), path-inbetweener (20 paths) and stroke-or-fill-visible-paths using a gradient. Then use as above with curves.

This is also quite nice ! Here i used 8 intermediate paths and blurred the result a bit.

Does the ratio of the colours in the gradient affect the way the paths are stroked ?

[attachment=1046]

RE: Making a precise blurry area - Ofnuts - 12-04-2017

(12-03-2017, 11:37 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Does the ratio of the colours in the gradient affect the way the paths are stroked ?

If you have 20 paths (the script samples the gradient on 20 equidistant values (including the ends) and strokes each path with the corresponding value.