Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pressure/line size with tablet
I'm using a graphics tablet (Huion H610pro) with gimp (2.8.22) and I am having problems with getting pen pressure to affect brushstroke. Pen pressure/line thickness works fine on the tablet's  trial window. Pen pressure also affects brushstroke opacity in gimp when 'Pressure Opacity' is checked in Dynamics Options in the paintbrush tool options. But I don't want to vary opacity, I want to vary thickness. So I have made two new dynamics, one by creating a new dynamic and the other by editing a copy of an existing dynamic. In both of them the size/pressure box is checked and no other box is checked. The ratio graph is the usual straight line from minimum size/minimum pressure to maximum size/maximum pressure. Neither of those two new dynamics works. Any suggestions?
If Pressure->Opacity works then the tablet is working (miracle!). Normally you cannot edit an existing Dynamics (the provided ones are read-only) you have a to create a new one (or copy an existing one). A good test is to check both Pressure->Size and Pressure->Opacity and see if you get at least the opacity to work in that case.
Thanks, Ofnuts. Yes, it is a miracle that the tablet is working - result of negotiations between me and Huion that made the Brexit talks look like a stroll in the park.
I followed your advice, and found that pressure had no effect on anything. I think I was mistaken before to say that pressure had affected opacity - I suspect that it was velocity doing that, not pressure. Otherwise things are fine. Both direction and velocity control both opacity and size, with mouse and tablet pen. So it is only pressure that is not working, but unfortunately that is the one I most want.
Getting the pressure working on tablets under Windows is difficult and especially with Huion tablets (Wacom ones have better support). Being on Linux with a Wacom I can't help much Smile There are several threads about Huion tablets already, the search field at the top of the page should lead you to them.
I'll have another look at the Huion tablet threads. I'm on a Mac which probably doesn't help. I was thinking of reinstalling the software, either Gimp or the tablet software, and maybe also installing a slightly older version of the software - does that ever work?
Thanks again for your prompt help.
Reinstalling Gimp rarely helps, because there are no secret registry keys like in Windows. Everything is in your Gimp profile. By the way can you:

1. locate your Gimp profile: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfile/
2. Put the "devicerc" file these in a ZIP
3. Attach the ZIP here?
I tried to locate my Gimp profile but none of the methods worked. Trick 2 told me the profile was in the Application Support folder, but it wasn't. If I find the profile I'll attach the devicerc file here.
(01-14-2018, 02:46 PM)lemonphenomenon Wrote: I tried to locate my Gimp profile but none of the methods worked. Trick 2 told me the profile was in the Application Support folder, but it wasn't. If I find the profile I'll attach the devicerc file here.

The profile name starts with a dot. On Unix systems such files are hidden (or, more accurately, not shown by default). OSX/macOS is a Unix under the hood. Your file explorer should have an options to display "hidden files".
There isn't an option to display hidden files in Finder as far as I can see. I tried this method using Terminal
https://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-s...mavericks/
but it didn't work. I'll let you know if I have any luck.