Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coloring Help
Question 
Is it possible for someone to help recreate the coloring of 2 gifs for just a couple of single images?

The gifs themselves

[Image: tumblr_p2t7hqJYFq1vma0mko2_540.gif][Image: tumblr_p38xksfFAC1wl9ps9o8_400.gif]

My Images are attached

Not as dark?

Not quite exact but easily obtained using the gmic plugin see: http://www.gmic.eu and one of the filters Testing -> Garagecoder -> Auto balance. One click using default setting.

https://i.imgur.com/3ybUpJk.png

https://i.imgur.com/MEUXVgC.png

Otherwise the regular Gimp Colors -> Auto -> White balance is not bad.

Edit Just wondering how you got the dark images in the first place:
You might already know how to get a frame from an animation but for those who do not.
Open the animated gif
Change from Indexed to RGB menu Image -> Mode -> RGB
Unoptimise the animation Filters -> Animation -> Unoptimise
This writes a new animation, choose the frame you want in the layers dialogue. Click 'n Drag to the top of the toolbox (wilbur zone) to open as a new image.

[Image: EJBfd32.jpg]
The image is a screen capture from the movie IT 2017.

I don't want to to take a frame from any of the gifs. I just want to recreate the coloring without changing the color mode.
(01-31-2018, 06:11 PM)SolidSnake2003 Wrote: The image is a screen capture from the movie IT 2017.

I don't want to to take a frame from any of the gifs.  I just want to recreate the coloring without changing the color mode.

Ok. Forget the gifs. What is wrong with the png's I made? Too bright - or ...
I was trying to do it myself, I just wanted advice on how to accomplish it. I've never worked with the coloring options in this or photoshop elements before. I wanted to see how it was done, and then make tweaks if I wanted to make it my own. Plus that gmic thing didn't have that testing filter thing you mentioned. Plus one of the images was resized, and I didn't want it resized yet.
(01-31-2018, 08:23 PM)SolidSnake2003 Wrote: I was trying to do it myself, I just wanted advice on how to accomplish it.  I've never worked with the coloring options in this or photoshop elements before.  I wanted to see how it was done, and then make tweaks if I wanted to make it my own.  Plus that gmic thing didn't have that testing filter thing you mentioned.  Plus one of the images was resized, and I didn't want it resized yet.

Good that you got gmic installed and working, it sounds like you need to update the filters, click the update icon when connected to the internet. As of this morning 499 filters available.

[Image: scCKMZ4.jpg]

Full marks for wanting to do it yourself. Learning Gimp is not only asking advice, trial and error and trying various tools fixes procedures in your memory. Dive in and experiment is best.

The image does not need re-colouring, more a re-balance of light-to-dark. It is possible to completely replace a color in an image, but that was not your question. There are basic Gimp filters for recolouring Colors -> Map -> Color-Rotate for example, not what you want but try it sometime.
So I should just use that gmic thing, and not try to recreate the coloring?
Your screen-capture images are RBG color and for the larger one, Gimp analysis gives 20495 colors. How many of those are you going to re-colour. The gif animation on the other hand being Indexed color, by default has 256 maximum colors. Do you want to degrade the better images?

If you want a reasonable match then in my opinion the gmic filter gives a good result.

Alternative using basic Gimp tools you could
- Colors -> Auto -> White Balance followed by
- Colors -> Curves and pull the individual curves around to suit.

example:

[Image: wdh4OaX.jpg]
Im just wanting to try to recreate the look of the first gif.  The 2nd one looks more like what you get running the gmic, and the auto white balance(maybe a little darker).
I can not suggest anything better pulling the color-curves around. The Value (black) curve will adjust brightness the RGB curves to tweak the colours to match.

Maybe someone else can suggest a procedure.