Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't drag and drop to reorder layers - fixed
In the "layers" dialog, I can't drag-and-drop layers. When I pick a layer up, the dotted line indicating where it's supposed to land never shows up. When I let up the mouse button, the layer returns where it came from. I can move layers with the buttons on the bottom of the dialog, but that doesn't allow me to move layers in or out of groups.

---
Between me starting this post and finishing it, I fixed it. I'm still going to post it because I couldn't find the solution anywhere online. Apparently, this problem has shown up due to incompatibility with a handful of programs -- the ones identified elsewhere online are Skype, Kaspersky Antivirus, Camtasia, Snagit, Camstudio, and Tuneup Utilities. I'm adding the program DisplayFusion to the list. I was quitting programs one at a time to troubleshoot, and when I exited DisplayFusion, I was suddenly able to drag and drop.

I hope this is helpful to someone somewhere along the line.
(03-31-2018, 06:30 AM)gremlin1384 Wrote: In the "layers" dialog, I can't drag-and-drop layers. When I pick a layer up, the dotted line indicating where it's supposed to land never shows up. When I let up the mouse button, the layer returns where it came from. I can move layers with the buttons on the bottom of the dialog, but that doesn't allow me to move layers in or out of groups.

---
Between me starting this post and finishing it, I fixed it. I'm still going to post it because I couldn't find the solution anywhere online. Apparently, this problem has shown up due to incompatibility with a handful of programs -- the ones identified elsewhere online are Skype, Kaspersky Antivirus, Camtasia, Snagit, Camstudio, and Tuneup Utilities. I'm adding the program DisplayFusion to the list. I was quitting programs one at a time to troubleshoot, and when I exited DisplayFusion, I was suddenly able to drag and drop.

gremlin1384, can I hug you????

This has solved my problem. I Googled for a long time and couldn't find a solution. And then I came across this forum, and then I came across this post.

THANK YOU! In my case, it was because I was running Macromedia Fireworks.
(03-31-2018, 06:30 AM)gremlin1384 Wrote: In the "layers" dialog, I can't drag-and-drop layers. When I pick a layer up, the dotted line indicating where it's supposed to land never shows up. When I let up the mouse button, the layer returns where it came from. I can move layers with the buttons on the bottom of the dialog, but that doesn't allow me to move layers in or out of groups.

---

Yep, the culprit for me was "PenAttention", which is a cursor highlighting program. Thanks for the reminder of "simple troubleshooting".
Thank you all for keeping this post updated, this might help a lot of people!
I don't have any of those things and it's still not working. I used it all day with no problems and the next day it stopped working and I didn't change a thing.
(11-29-2021, 04:04 PM)Keith Wrote: I don't have any of those things and it's still not working. I used it all day with no problems and the next day it stopped working and I didn't change a thing.

As you stated, are you really using Gimp version 3.0 ? 

Try disabling your Gimp profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10  by renaming to C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10.bakup

Start Gimp and it creates a new user profile. Now open an image with layers. Can you drag to re-order layers?

Edit: you could give a few more details, save a guess. Are you using a graphics tablet (and make) ? Are you using a 4K monitor ? Are you using dual monitors ?
(11-29-2021, 04:45 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 04:04 PM)Keith Wrote: I don't have any of those things and it's still not working. I used it all day with no problems and the next day it stopped working and I didn't change a thing.

As you stated, are you really using Gimp version 3.0 ? 

Try disabling your Gimp profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10  by renaming to C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10.bakup

Start Gimp and it creates a new user profile. Now open an image with layers. Can you drag to re-order layers?

Edit: you could give a few more details, save a guess. Are you using a graphics tablet (and make) ?  Are you using a 4K monitor ? Are you using dual monitors ?
I'm using 2.10.28 that was a mistake. Changing the name didn't work but thanks for the advice. I do have 2 monitors and I just found out if I drag Gimp to my second monitor or switch my primary monitor in display settings it works so I have no idea what's going on.
I'm using 3.0, had the same problem as the poster above where it would only work on my second monitor. Turns out it was spybot causing the issue for me, so another program we can add to the list.
Hi, in my case the culprit was Nvidia Game Overlay, I had to open Gforce Experience -> Settings -> General -> disable the game overlay.
Gimp was perfectly fine on the second monitor, but not on the main one. Now it's fixed Smile
(05-15-2022, 06:35 AM)WellNowItWorks Wrote: Hi, in my case the culprit was Nvidia Game Overlay, I had to open Gforce Experience -> Settings -> General -> disable the game overlay.
Gimp was perfectly fine on the second monitor, but not on the main one. Now it's fixed Smile

I signed up to the site just to say this fixed my issue 
Thank you so much