Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Make Passport Photo?
I  have GIMP 2.8.22

I've googled and found quite a few videos and instruction pages for doing passport pics and they include all kinds of different ways. And some of them are quite old. And some don't suit Australian requirements. And some I can't understand...

So I thought I'd come here and get perhaps up-to-date advice from people who really know their stuff and the latest GIMP.

I have the source pics. I need advice how to process them in GIMP to make them passport pics.

I need Aussie passport photos and that means overall 35mm-40mm wide x 45mm - 50mm high.

The size of the head from chin to top of the head must be 32mm-36mm.

I reckon that equates to a pic 2" x 1.5" with a head of 1.3"

I'll take my finished product to a chainstore photo print machine which will print out 6"x4" pics. So I need to perhaps plan for eight pics on one image: two rows of four each. 4 x 1.5" being 6" and two rows at 2" being 4".

Can anyone help with that or perhaps direct to a good site for it?
A good site? This is a good site Wink

The usual dire warning that Gimp works in pixels and not millimetres.

I think you are better off using the maximum photo dimensions, easier to reduce a little than the other way.

Your single passport image then becomes 40mm x 50mm which at a print resolution of 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi) is 472 x 590 pixels.

How to get the facial metrics into that? All sorts of ways but the easiest is 'borrow' an image from the passport office. Use that to set up some guides for when you come to place the photo. 

Save the blank with guides as a Gimp .xcf My version attached.

Then you can add the actual photo and scale it to fit.

Lots to take in there so the usual video https://youtu.be/Bucn3ZAnutA about 5 minutes.

Putting images onto a 6" x 4" print size for a print machine.

The only warning I have here is check that the print machine does margin-less prints. If it imposes margins then it will shrink your images a little. Might still be ok, but something to keep in mind.

Again, make a blank canvas 6" x 4" @ 300 ppi = 1800 x 1200 pix.

Open your image File -> Open as Layers you just made, duplicate a couple of times and move to fill the canvas.

Export that as a jpeg for the print machine.

A bit shorter this time: https://youtu.be/ERjFwqlgccI two and a half minutes.

Attached Files
.xcf   photo-1-template.xcf (Size: 1.99 KB / Downloads: 580)
Wouldn't it be easier to use the photo you want, duplicate the layer 3 times then GMIC - montage it?

Most post office shops in Australia will do them for you too.

Smile
Not too sure that a gmic montage will give the exact printed size.

Want more images on the 6" x 4" - this sort of arrangement - https://i.imgur.com/Uc170di.jpg might just work and of course you can use different portraits.
lovely Trump pics     Angel
(06-04-2018, 02:38 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: lovely Trump pics     Angel

Makes me think that although there are rules against hats and thing s in your hair, nothing forbids strange hairdos. Waaayyyy too late for a Mohawk on my passport, though.
(06-04-2018, 08:48 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

Makes me think that although there are rules against hats and thing s in your hair, nothing forbids strange hairdos. Waaayyyy too late for a Mohawk on my passport, though.

I still have all my old (cancelled) passports, I would not like the photo from 1975 to escape. Lots of hair in those days Wink
(06-05-2018, 08:04 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 08:48 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

I still have all my old (cancelled) passports, I would not like the photo from 1975 to escape. Lots of hair in those days Wink

Can't be any worse than the one on my military documents (1976). Short hair, long beard. ISIS? No, French Navy Smile