Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Opening files and navigating... why so different? + Left toolbar
The interface I think is poor.
What would be preferred is the standard explorer type interface - like you get on all operating systems.

In Gimp... I find it difficult to navigate.
Why can't the clever people who coded Gimp simply use standard components for the file selection - like all other programs?

Or am I missing something?

ALSO: I just updated to the latest version. The toolbar on the left looks odd. See this image on the bottom left: https://snag.gy/B83muV.jpg. The bottom tool can barely be seen and I can't tell if there's other tools missing that I cant access. How do I detach and reposition? The toolbar users to be 3x7 grid or something before?

Thanks.
Gimp Ver: 2.10.2
Change the theme, deactivate the single window mode and customise everything the way you want ?

EDIT -> Preferences -> Interface -> Theme

As far as i know the single window mode has been especially implemented for former Photoshop users, so one might think that should please you.

Also you dont have to update Gimp to 2.10.
Especially when you are new.
Im still using 2.8.

BTW, none of the Gimp developers read this board, so all your requests will probably be unheard.
(06-26-2018, 02:03 PM)enginestar Wrote: The interface I think is poor.
What would be preferred is the standard explorer type interface - like you get on all operating systems.

In Gimp... I find it difficult to navigate.
Why can't the clever people who coded Gimp simply use standard components for the file selection - like all other programs?

Or am I missing something?

What you are missing is that the GIMP developers have used a standard component. It's using the GTK file dialog. There have always been complaints about it, but it's not something the GIMP developers have much, if any, control over.
(06-26-2018, 02:03 PM)enginestar Wrote: The toolbar on the left looks odd. See this image on the bottom left: https://snag.gy/B83muV.jpg.

I've been using 2.10 and I have never seen that Toolbar looking like that. Do you have Plugins, or saved custom preferences from the old version?