Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Drop-Shadow Tool - Create New Layer?
(06-30-2018, 04:04 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: I dont know the answer but what i dont understand is why you are not making the dropshadow without a filter ?

Everything works exactly the same and is live on canvas !

01. duplicate layer
02. lock Alpha Channel
03. fill with colour (black)
04. unlock Alpha Channel
05. apply Gaussian Blur
06. offset with Move Tool
07. adjust Opacity
08. apply Layermode (Multiply, Grain Merge, etc.)
09. profit

Why am I not making the Dropshadow without a filter? The Dropshadow is the filter. I thought?

I'm not interested in doing this procedure every time I want to make a Dropshadow. For my purposes, the Legacy Tool works just fine... it's nice to have a Preview on the Canvas, but I prefer to have the option to simply Delete a mistake instead of having to dig into my Undo History an hour into my work, or risk having to start all over again.

(06-30-2018, 01:18 PM)mholder Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 12:44 PM)dinasset Wrote: I run Samj's portable pack 2.10.2 (64bits) and that's the std display when entering Drop Shadow (Layer/Layer Effects)

ok. I think that's different from the new GEGL drop shadow in filters->light and shadow.

It is nice because of the on-canvas preview, but I agree with the original post that the shadow should have its own layer.

Basically.

Quote:the whole point of the brain is to automate your life

Not all of us are big-brains like you.
(07-02-2018, 05:30 AM)Cyrus Wrote: Not all of us are big-brains like you.

im also a big pearls before swine thrower *teehee*
(07-02-2018, 05:36 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: im also a big pearls before swine thrower  *teehee*

Charming.
I know this isn't a Krita forum, but Krita has real-time layer styles, like drop shadows and others (like bevel and emboss).

That way it draws the shadows in real time, as you draw.  I don't see any issues with having Krita and Gimp open at the same time, copy and pasting layers between the two programs, using the strengths of both programs together.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-30-2018, 04:04 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: I dont know the answer but what i dont understand is why you are not making the dropshadow without a filter ?

Everything works exactly the same and is live on canvas !

01. duplicate layer
02. lock Alpha Channel
03. fill with colour (black)
04. unlock Alpha Channel
05. apply Gaussian Blur
06. offset with Move Tool
07. adjust Opacity
08. apply Layermode (Multiply, Grain Merge, etc.)
09. profit
Thanks for these directions. One question--what is the point of the Layermode step?
(05-20-2019, 09:01 PM)kato Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 04:04 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: 08. apply Layermode (Multiply, Grain Merge, etc.)
09. profit
Thanks for these directions. One question--what is the point of the Layermode step?

I believe it's for a better blend with the bottom layer. Try it.
(06-30-2018, 04:01 AM)dinasset Wrote: There is an option: Merge with layer. Unclick it if it's clicked on on your env

Im on GIMP 2.10.12 on a Windows 7 machine. The (new) drop shadow tool does not have the check box to select/deselect Layer. Is anyone else having this issue?

Attached Files Image(s)

Unlike the legacy drop shadow, the GEGL version works directly on the active layer. The advantage is what you see is what you get. What it does not do is create a separate layer just for the drop-shadow. The legacy version is still there if that is preferred.

Some things to to consider.

1. The layer is not large enough for the shadow effect: https://i.imgur.com/zmdP7uP.jpg Increase the layer size, Layer -> layer to Image size.
2. The canvas is not large enough for the shadow effect. https://i.imgur.com/vC7HtHQ.jpg Increase the canvas size

example: gets this. https://i.imgur.com/IqYiS70.jpg
(06-30-2018, 12:13 PM)mholder Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 04:01 AM)dinasset Wrote: There is an option: Merge with layer. Unclick it if it's clicked on on your env

I am not seeing this in 2.10

@Espermaschine
That's great, but the whole point of the script is to automate the steps.

I do not see the option either in Gimp 2.10.14

Attached Files Image(s)

The screenshot shown here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-New-Dr...50#pid9050 which has a merge with layer option, is not a standard Gimp plugin.

It is part of an old plugin layerfx.py