Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text Box - Point size default is in Pixels
Just started using Gimp 2.8 on my new MAC.  Had a problem with no text showing up on my project even though I could type in text box.  I could see a mini micro of something happening at the top of the text box but no text appearing.  Searched the net and checked to make sure I was using RGB and checked canvas size, layer position etc etc.  Finally, double clicked on the text tool and found out that the default setting for text size was PIXELS and not POINTS. Pretty darn hard to see your text when it is 24 pixels and not points Cool Changed to POINTS and everything now well.  Just thought I would give a heads up in case anyone else is having problems using the test tool.  Developers should be notified of this default setting and have it changed to points for text size.
Quote:...Developers should be notified of this default setting and have it changed to points for text size.
No developers here, even so, unlikely to change. Gimp is a raster editor and uses pixels. For DTP you will be better off using say, Scribus.

However, although I do not use anything from A**le you should be able to set up Gimp the way you want to start up, the tool to start on, with its properties and any other tool, including the text tool font, size and units.

In Edit -> Preferences ->  Tool Options untick Save tool options on exit Click on Save Tool Options Now Click on OK as this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/rarz82X.jpg
(07-09-2018, 09:36 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...Developers should be notified of this default setting and have it changed to points for text size.
No developers here, even so, unlikely to change. Gimp is a raster editor and uses pixels. For DTP you will be better off using say, Scribus.

However, although I do not use anything from A**le you should be able to set up Gimp the way you want to start up, the tool to start on, with its properties and any other tool, including the text tool font, size and units.

In Edit -> Preferences ->  Tool Options untick Save tool options on exit Click on Save Tool Options Now Click on OK as this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/rarz82X.jpg

Well yes, it can be changed and I did.  But, if you look at Utube tutorials and or read books on Gimp, there is no reference made to this default setting being in Pixels.  They all show adding text to be a simple process of just clicking on the tool and start typing. As for Apple, I guess my opinions on Wondoze mirror yours on MAC but to each his own.  Thanks to pointing out to me to check all the tool defaults.
Quote:They all show adding text to be a simple process of just clicking on the tool and start typing.

That is all you do. Simple, but the canvas you type in is in pixels, most want to use text the same. You can have the canvas in inches or centimetres and text in points but it all ends up as pixels in the image.

Quote:my opinions on Wondoze mirror yours on MAC but to each his own

Life is too short to worry about the relative merits of greedy M$ or App£e but for the record I use linux Wink
Before I bought my Mac, I also used Linux on a dual boot machine.  It was old and tired so I bellied up and bought a Mac.  Mac comes with the bash shell which I like even though I may seldom use.  I have a few shell scripts that I can use it on and a TCL program also.  Never played around much with gimp, even on Linux but now starting to do so.
(07-09-2018, 12:33 PM)Paul E. Lehmann Wrote: Before I bought my Mac, I also used Linux on a dual boot machine.  It was old and tired so I bellied up and bought a Mac.  Mac comes with the bash shell which I like even though I may seldom use.  I have a few shell scripts that I can use it on and a TCL program also.  Never played around much with gimp, even on Linux but now starting to do so.

Much like your dual boot machine, I am old and tired as well Wink

Do not know where you got your Gimp 2.8 from but if you are up for a bit dabbling there is:

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gim...x/testing/

and probably a bit more reliable, partha has a Gimp 2.10.2 http://www.partha.com
(07-09-2018, 11:52 AM)Paul E. Lehmann Wrote: But, if you look at Utube tutorials and or read books on Gimp, there is no reference made to this default setting being in Pixels.  They all show adding text to be a simple process of just clicking on the tool and start typing.

You are assuming that Youtube tutorial authors know their stuff.