Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving dockable dialogue tabs - Gimp 2.10
Several request recently on moving tabs. The default Gimp 2.10 setup is a little cluttered. Not difficult to rearrange but users often have problems dragging the dockable dialogue tabs around.

Normally I cover this in a general setup or 'how-http:// to-fix' demo but this video is just about moving those tabs.

the direct link https://youtu.be/01PeLL1F8Kg 3 minutes 45 seconds
(09-03-2018, 08:37 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Several request recently on moving tabs. The default Gimp 2.10 setup is a little cluttered. Not difficult to rearrange but users often have problems dragging the dockable dialogue tabs around.

Normally I cover this in a general setup or 'how-http:// to-fix' demo but this video is just about moving those tabs.

the direct link https://youtu.be/01PeLL1F8Kg 3 minutes 45 seconds

Thank you for this helpful video that makes things crystal clear. Just one problem here. In the right column, you have two tab areas with three dots at the top of the lower one. I had that setup until earlier today when I found it convenient to disable single-window mode. Everything was messed up when I turned it back on. I've tried everything under the sun to get my layers/paths/channels tabs in that lower area, but am unable to reattach it. I can move tabs six ways to Sunday but not get a second group attached in that column so I can move the entire GIMP window all at once.

I tried using the white border option, but I do not get a white border, just white line. I checked the online GIMP manual, 2.3.1, where it specifies three default docks, one on the left under the toolbox, Channels, etc. on the top right, and Brushes, etc. on the bottom right. I even tried resetting to default.

SO, any ideas on how to get that two-doc on the right configuration back? If I can get the two areas reclaimed, I can arrange tabs to suit me.
Quote: I had that setup until earlier today when I found it convenient to disable single-window mode. Everything was messed up when I turned it back on.

That's the crucial bit Wink The classic Gimp three pane display is Tools/tool options - Gimp Image window - Brush/Layer docks
Shuffle those around, return to single-window mode and the positions stick. Unfortunately going back to mult-window mode does not fix the problem.

Best option is start again.
Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management then click on Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values and OK
Restart Gimp and move your tabs around, "practice makes perfect" as they say.
To prevent it happening again.
Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management
Untick Save window positions on exit
Click on Save Window Positions Now and OK
Then when you go out of single window mode you know that restarting Gimp returns to your setup.

Quote: ...I even tried resetting to default...
Strange that does not work. The window positions are held in your Gimp User profile in the file sessionrc. Delete that file and the window/dock positions return to default.

Quote:...I tried using the white border option, but I do not get a white border, just white line...
There was another user reported that problem. Seemed to be an issue with a HD (4k) display. I do not know.
Wink 
Thanks for the juicy reply. I don't see anything there I had not tried. Fortunately for me, out of the blue, things suddenly snapped back into two dock locations. Then I was able to swap things around and get back to my preferred layout. Phew! I have NO idea what made the difference. And yes, I immediately saved window positions. All told, it would have been faster to rip out GIMP by the roots and start over, but what fun is that? Tongue
Hot diggity dog. I found the answer to how to create additional docking spaces, at least on the right. Pull a single dock out of a group and drop it in the center of your work area. Then pull the tab out of that box and hover it exactly on the top of the blue borderline on the right. It becomes an additional dock area. Arrange dock tabs to suit you within the resulting spaces. That has to be what I stumbled onto yesterday without realizing what I'd done.