Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP 2.10.6 not responding
Hello - I hope you can help me with this issue, as I love GIMP.

My computer recently had a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Before the crash of c:\ GIMP 2.10 worked perfectly.

I have lots of space on C.:\, 8 GB RAM and SSD.

Now I also had to reinstall GIMP, which means I am now on 2.10.6 .

GIMP always say "not responding" ie when I try to open an image or save and image, and more actions.

I have removed with Revo several times and reinstalled, but I have the same problem.

I have tried to install older versions, but I can only find unstable versions. Of course I have sarched this forum without finding anything when I search for the term "responding"

I would be grateful for input.

Best regards,
Hanne B. Stegemüller
Denmark
So, I assume Gimps runs at least until the  initial empty image window?

Is the problem only with loading/saving images? there used to be a problem with the file selection dialog on systems where the BIOS defined a bogus diskette drive (long timeout.... maybe you should try once again but give it a lot of time(like 20mn)).

Otherwise re-installing Gimp usually doesn't help much, what is really needed is to start from a fresh profile (stop Gimp, rename the profile, restart). Here are a few ways to find your Gimp profile (but they assume Gimp runs somehow). Otherwise could a WIn10 user tell where the profile is?
(09-29-2018, 04:31 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: So, I assume Gimps runs at least until the  initial empty image window?

Is the problem only with loading/saving images? there used to be a problem with the file selection dialog on systems where the BIOS defined a bogus diskette drive (long timeout.... maybe you should try once again but give it a lot of time(like 20mn)).

Otherwise re-installing Gimp usually doesn't help much, what is really needed is to start from a fresh profile (stop Gimp, rename the profile, restart). Here are a few ways to find your Gimp profile (but they assume Gimp runs somehow). Otherwise could a WIn10 user tell where the profile is?

Thank you for your answer (I wonder, why I did not get an e-mail I have set it up in my profile.)

I am not sure what you mean about "defined a bogus diskette drive" I don't have a diskette drive, but I have a CD/DCrom drive.  I am afraid of doing things in BIOS as I am not familiar with that.

What should I give a lot of time - the open/save proces? But the "not responding" only take some seconds and disappear if I cllick on the function again.

I will try your advice with the profile.

Best regards.

(09-29-2018, 04:31 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: So, I assume Gimps runs at least until the  initial empty image window?

Hello again:

I can get here: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Local\GIMP\2.10 where there is a file called CrashLog, but is from 26-09-2018. And I have had many crashes after that.

I have this: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Roaming\GIMP which seems to be the entire app.

I also have this: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Local\GIMP\2.10

I am not sure where I should find the profile file ( I have read the whole guide). I do not have any private scrips or anything personal.

Regards,
(09-29-2018, 04:48 PM)HBS Wrote: I am not sure what you mean about "defined a bogus diskette drive" I don't have a diskette drive, but I have a CD/DCrom drive.  I am afraid of doing things in BIOS as I am not familiar with that.

What should I give a lot of time - the open/save proces? But the "not responding" only take some seconds and disappear if I cllick on the function again.

I don't remember the details, but the BIOS can sometimes define a pseudo/legacy diskette drive which isn't there. So for Windows there is a "A:" drive but when you try to access it it hangs for a long time. The result in Gimp is that the file selector dialog is v..e..r..y... ...s..l..o...w to appear.

(09-29-2018, 04:48 PM)HBS Wrote: I can get here: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Local\GIMP\2.10 where there is a file called CrashLog, but is from 26-09-2018. And I have had many crashes after that.

I have this: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Roaming\GIMP which seems to be the entire app.

I am not sure where I should find the profile file ( I have read the whole guide). I do not have any private scrips or anything personal.

The profile contains files called sessionrc, pluginrc, gimprc (among others), and directories called scripts, plugins, brushes...
When Windows 10 first came out there was a bug where Windows would spend time looking for a non-existent diskette drive. When accessing the file system from within Gimp, this bug would kick in and cause Windows to not respond for a few minutes. Ofnuts is just wondering if this old bug is affecting your system.

The Gimp app is installed here: C:\Program Files\Gimp 2

C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 is your user profile. All the plug-ins, fonts, etc that you add go into the appropriate folder in your user profile. If your user profile gets messed up you can disable it by renaming it (ie it becomes a backup). Gimp will create a new, empty user profile.
(09-29-2018, 06:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 04:48 PM)HBS Wrote: I am not sure what you mean about "defined a bogus diskette drive" I don't have a diskette drive, but I have a CD/DCrom drive.  I am afraid of doing things in BIOS as I am not familiar with that.

I don't remember the details, but the BIOS can sometimes define a pseudo/legacy diskette drive which isn't there. So for Windows there is a "A:" drive but when you try to access it it hangs for a long time. The result in Gimp is that the file selector dialog is v..e..r..y... ...s..l..o...w to appear.

(09-29-2018, 04:48 PM)HBS Wrote: I can get here: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Local\GIMP\2.10 where there is a file called CrashLog, but is from 26-09-2018. And I have had many crashes after that.

I am not sure where I should find the profile file ( I have read the whole guide). I do not have any private scripts or anything personal.

The profile contains files called sessionrc, pluginrc, gimprc (among others), and directories called scripts, plugins, brushes...

OK - I have found the files and the directories. But does this mean, I shall rename the directories

Files:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\etc\gimp\2.0\sessionrc
C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\sessionrc

C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\pluginrc
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\etc\gimp\2.0\gimprc

Directories:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\32\lib\python2.7\Tools\scripts
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts

I would be very happy with a solution witout entering BIOS. My computer has just be inaccessible for 1½ weeks Cool

Best regards, Again..

I forgot som of the directories. Will be back soon.

Best regards, Again..

HI am sorry I forgot something. I hope, the following is what you need:

Plugins:
There are so many of these, but they are located like this: C
:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\locale\af\LC_MESSAGES\gst-plugins-base-1.0.mo

Brushes:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\gimpressionist\Brushes
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\mypaint-data\1.0\brushes

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\menus\mypaint-brushes-menu.xml
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\menus\brushes-menu.xml

(09-29-2018, 07:06 PM)Blighty Wrote: When Windows 10 first came out there was a bug where Windows would spend time looking for a non-existent diskette drive. When accessing the file system from within Gimp, this bug would kick in and cause Windows to not respond for a few minutes. Ofnuts is just wondering if this old bug is affecting your system.

The Gimp app is installed here: C:\Program Files\Gimp 2

C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10  is your user profile. All the plug-ins, fonts, etc that you add go into the appropriate folder in your user profile. If your user profile gets messed up you can disable it by renaming it (ie it becomes a backup). Gimp will create a new, empty user profile.

Super - thanks a lot.

I try that, but I had not seen your answer.

I'll get back to you.

Later:

I tried renaming that folder, the profile, but unfortunately with no effect.

What next doctor Watson Cool
Hi HBS. I got Windows 10 and is Gimp is running fine. Let's start from scratch and delete every Gimp 2.10 files in your PC. I instruct many user to uninstall the previous versions before Installing the new.

1. First, if you have had Gimp 2.8 version, go to your user directory;  C:\Users\Hanne\.gimp-2.8 and re-name this folder to, .gimp-2.8.old. This will avoid Gimp 2.10 to clone this folder.

2. Uninstall any version of Gimp (Gimp 2.10, Gimp 2.10.4 or Gimp 2.10.6). After you uninstall Gimp, go to:  C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 and delete that folder. (Even though you uninstall Gimp there is a few folders that won'r uninstall and you have to delete them manually)

3. Go to: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 and delete this folder.

4. Go to: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Local\GIMP and delete this folder also.

5. One last part. Beside your Window Start program there is a Window search, click and type: Run. After the Result pop up "Run" click and a small window and this will open any Documents, file, program etc...

6. type on this window "regedit", we're going to delete all Gimp file from this directory. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click on the dropdown arrow and then select SOFTWARE. Click on the dropdown arrow and you will find all your Gimp. Delete all the Gimps folders.

Install Gimp again and it should work with no problems. Try it.
(10-05-2018, 04:55 AM)Pocholo Wrote: Hi HBS. I got Windows 10 and is Gimp is running fine. Let's start from scratch and delete every Gimp 2.10 files in your PC. I instruct many user to uninstall the previous versions before Installing the new.

1. First, if you have had Gimp 2.8 version, go to your user directory;  C:\Users\Hanne\.gimp-2.8 and re-name this folder to, .gimp-2.8.old. This will avoid Gimp 2.10 to clone this folder.

2. Uninstall any version of Gimp (Gimp 2.10, Gimp 2.10.4 or Gimp 2.10.6). After you uninstall Gimp, go to:  C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 and delete that folder. (Even though you uninstall Gimp there is a few folders that won'r uninstall and you have to delete them manually)

3. Go to: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 and delete this folder.

4. Go to: C:\Users\Hanne\AppData\Local\GIMP and delete this folder also.

5. One last part. Beside your Window Start program there is a Window search, click and type: Run. After the Result pop up "Run" click and a small window and this will open any Documents, file, program etc...

6. type on this window "regedit", we're going to delete all Gimp file from this directory. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click on the dropdown arrow and then select SOFTWARE. Click on the dropdown arrow and you will find all your Gimp. Delete all the Gimps folders.

Install Gimp again and it should work with no problems. Try it.

Hi Pocholo

I am so sorry for this late answer but I have been sick with eyes and a right computer arm.

And then sorry for mismanaging this forum. It seems I always do something wrong when I want to answer, so I get your post copied in. I don't know, what I do wrong. Please tell me. Normally I am used to fora.

I will now try to follow your recipe to reinstall GIMP. I will let you know what happens.

Best regards,
Hanne,
Denmark
Hello again Pocholo

I did everything you wrote, checked everything, searched with everything, made sure there was no trace of GIMP anywhere. I reinstalled (2.10.6), but I still have the same problem: when opening, changing, modifying and saving files it is not responding.

Do you have any other advice for me?

Best regards,
HBS,
Denmark
I think I should come back to you and tell, that when my computer broke down, and I bought a great new one all problems were gone. Now my lovely GIMP is back fully functional.