Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
image resize including canvas
I've made a picture with a few layers and then flatten the image. Now, I want to resize the image to a smaller on with the scale tool (I filled in new smaller dimensions). The result is that the image is scaled but the canvas stayed in the original dimensions (not scaled). Do I have to crop the canvas or is there another solution? Thanks in advance for an answer. 
Windows 10 / Gimp 2.10.6
You've resized the layer, not the whole image/canvas. You could now go to the Image menu - 'Fit canvas to layers'.

What I prefer to do when resizing a final image like that though, is just use the Image menu in the first place, select 'Scale Image', which does it all at once.
The ultimate solution is: - Do not use the scale tool. The correct tool for this is Image -> Scale Image

However since you now have a border, coloured or transparent, easiest way is Image -> Crop to Content
(10-03-2018, 08:54 AM)denzjos Wrote: I've made a picture with a few layers and then flatten the image.

Flatten the image is generally a bad idea. Save as xcf with all your layers intact. Then if you ever want to come back and edit the image you still have all the layers. You can export without flattening the image.
Thanks for the answers. To Blighty, I save images as xcf but in this case I want a smaller version of my image for a website and want to do it in Gimp. I am a new user with Gimp, so I have to learn how to do things in Gimp like I used to do with other software. And. I beginning to like Gimp.
(10-03-2018, 11:23 AM)denzjos Wrote: Thanks for the answers. To Blighty, I save images as xcf but in this case I want a smaller version of my image for a website and want to do it in Gimp. I am a new user with Gimp, so I have to learn how to do things in Gimp like I used to do with other software. And. I beginning to like Gimp.

As Blighty says, when you export the image it is implicitly flattened, you don't need to do that explicitly (this is even dangerous, since you could mistakenly save the flattened image to XCF and lose the layers).