Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request
Add the ability to make the cursor a color for greater visibility.
Sometimes it is hard to see. Smile
There are no developers on this forum. To the best of my knowledge, never even visit.

You need to go here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/ register and request an enhancement / new feature.
(10-15-2018, 11:09 AM)dbuske Wrote: Add the ability to make the cursor a color for greater visibility.
Sometimes it is hard to see. Smile

Go here and download the Cursor with different colors http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-set/di...e-pointers
It might assist the OP but it will only change the Windows system pointer.

The Gimp pointers are 'changed' in Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows -> Mouse Pointers and are somewhat limited to Tool icon with/without crosshair. To change those post a feature request at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/

There was a paint program many years ago and made for the Amiga, later it went to windows and Linux it had one outstanding feature that I enjoyed the most.
It was the ability to "Paint On"/"Paint off" any special effect using left/right mouse buttons this "live effect" would be really nice to have in The GIMP, Paul Nolan of Idruna software wrote the program that did this when he was 15 years old it was called PhotoGenic's, last I saw Paul is still around doing high-end work with media outlets/photographers.

-RodneyLee
(05-13-2020, 11:39 AM)RodneyLee Wrote: There was a paint program many years ago and made for the Amiga, later it went to windows and Linux it had one outstanding feature that I enjoyed the most.
It was the ability to "Paint On"/"Paint off" any special effect using left/right mouse buttons this "live effect" would be really nice to have in The GIMP, Paul Nolan of Idruna software wrote the program that did this when he was 15 years old it was called PhotoGenic's, last I saw Paul is still around doing high-end work with media outlets/photographers.

-RodneyLee

How is that different from:
  • duplicate the initial layer
  • apply effect to the top layer
  • add a layer mask to the top layer
  • paint layer mask in white where you want the effect, in black where you want the initial, and in gray where you blend a bit of each
Need bugfix for Convolution Matrix filter. If I use the following:
0 0 0
0 1 1
0 0 0

I expect one white pixel (RGB=255,255,255) on a black (RGB=0,0,0) background, if normalizing is turned one, I will end up getting a pair of pixels, each at mid-gray (RGB=128,128,128). But that's not what I'm getting. I'm getting a pair of higher than mid-gray pixels (RGB=188,188,188).

This may have to do with the mode it's processing in. I think it's converting from normal pixel values (perceptual values) to linear values, and then performing the convolution filter on the linear values, and then finally converting the filtered linear values back to perceptual values. Ordinary pixel values (like those stored in a standard BMP file) represent perceptual values, so that decreasing the value in half results in the brightness appearing half as bright (not actually cutting the light output from your monitor in half).

Most graphics software performs processes on the perceptual pixel values, and this should be the default, unless the user expressly selects a different mode of operation. If it doesn't do this, I consider the software buggy.

Since the Convolution Matrix filter does not allow the user a way to specify how it should perform the operation, it should always perform the operation on perceptual pixel values, as these are the values that will get saved to common image file formats such as BMP. An alternative solution would be a check box in the dialog box for the Convolution Matrix filter that would let you select if it would perform its operation on linear or perceptual values.
Quote:..Need bugfix for Convolution Matrix filter. If I use the following...

Interesting, but this is a Gimp User forum, there are no Gimp developers here.

For bugs / feature requests post here; https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues
(07-17-2020, 09:18 AM)Ben321 Wrote: Most graphics software performs processes on the perceptual pixel values, and this should be the default, unless the user expressly selects a different mode of operation. If it doesn't do this, I consider the software buggy.
You are making a virtue of necessity. Processing perceptual values is done because they can't do better or don't know better.
(07-17-2020, 05:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 09:18 AM)Ben321 Wrote: Most graphics software performs processes on the perceptual pixel values, and this should be the default, unless the user expressly selects a different mode of operation. If it doesn't do this, I consider the software buggy.
You are making a virtue of necessity. Processing perceptual values is done because they can't do better or don't know better.

I use Gimp for processing scientific images. The source files have are BMP files, and the values stored in BMP (and most other formats) are intended to be treated as perceptual values. As such, when Gimp loads them in, it uses these values as perceptual values. Yet Gimp will perform any convolution filtering in linear number space, which ends up with wrong results. You see, when I perform filtering on a scientific image in such a manner that should cut a certain value in half, I expect to be able to store that value back into a BMP file and load that file in another program (even of only something as simple as a hex editor) and see that the value was actually cut in half. If the value is NOT actually cut in half, (as is the case when Gimp performs perceptual to linear transformation before filtering, and linear to perceptual transformation after filtering) then the values stored back into the BMP file are INCORRECT, as they are DIFFERENT than the values that SHOULD be present after that filtering of the scientific data in question.