Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plays with Gimp
(02-16-2019, 10:27 PM)Ritergeek Wrote: I see good potential for this filter. Can we control the color of the contour lines?

Not in the original.
It can be added.
What do you have in mind?
The dark lines in your example are a great demonstration to show the effect, but they make that sunflower look like a scare picture for a poster on the disastrous effects of air pollution. Also, I look at that photo and wonder if the contour effect could be applied just to the flower. I can see how to do that with a combination of GIMP to isolate the flower one way or another and Inkscape for the filter, then paste the altered flower back into the (blurred) landscape. Or, just blur the landscape to obscure the contours and emphasize the flower. But again, that's back in GIMP.

By changing to a contour tone in the same color range as the flower, I suspect the flower's beauty could be enhanced, and a painterly effect obtained.
I guess you should have in mind that the purpose of this filter is to produce a "cartographical" look.
This is taken from the comment of the original author:
"This script will take a heightmap, given by a greyscale layer that
the user selects, and draw many contour lines of it on the active layer.
There is support for different brush sizes, hardnesses, spacing, smoothing,
differing low and high bounds, and adding a double-weight line every so often.."
It's not an "artistical" filter.

I tought you just wanted to see the lines in a different color(s), instead of pure black. That's possible.

My fault not to say it in advance and to use a flower image as an example of the effect, instead of an aerial view of a territory, which would have been more suitable.
Just a misunderstanding.
(02-17-2019, 06:16 PM)dinasset Wrote: I guess you should have in mind that the purpose of this filter is to produce a "cartographical" look.
This is taken from the comment of the original author:
"This script will take a heightmap, given by a greyscale layer that
the user selects, and draw many contour lines of it on the active layer.
There is support for different brush sizes, hardnesses, spacing, smoothing,
differing low and high bounds, and adding a double-weight line every so often.."
It's not an "artistical" filter.

I tought you just wanted to see the lines in a different color(s), instead of pure black. That's possible.

My fault not to say it in advance and to use a flower image as an example of the effect, instead of an aerial view of a territory, which would have been more suitable.
Just a misunderstanding.

No, it's obviously cartographical, but I think we both like to think out of the box for alternate applications.  I may have been thinking of Inkscape when I wrote the reply -- I'm popping back and forth between the two. Obviously with GIMP the flower could easily be put in a selection, and the effect you got would be highly effective for the purpose that occured to me.  I do enjoy your examples. I'm still quite new to GIMP (and also Inkscape) and appreciate the glimpses into possibilities beyond where I'd think to go on my own.
I do enjoy your experiments and results, too. Dinasset, thanks for posting them.
Thanks, Issa.
As promised, the possibility to show the result colouring the lines:

- coloured lines on source image

- coloured lines only

Possbilities look endless. Thanks for the demo.

Have you played with the mega-mall of effects that appear to be possible with the G'MIC Qt filter suite? I just stumbled across that and haven't had time to explore much of it yet.
No, I use only Gimp (since - during its updates- g'mic caused incompatibility with gimp-gmic interface).
You may do it with full satisfaction, I'm sure.
An old and easy technique to transform a photo into a drawing (using edge and divide mode).