Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to install plug-ins etc in WSL Gimp 2.10
I got Gimp 2.10.8 installed and running on my 'Windows Subsystem for Linux' on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, starts very quickly which is a welcome change to the normal Windows waiting experience, however I can't seem to add any plug-ins, palettes, brushes etc etc to the setup.. 
I put them in 'home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins (../palettes ../brushes)' etc  but to no avail - does anybody have any information on this? maybe a command-line (bash) fix? 
I managed to get gmic up and running with 'sudo apt-get install gimp-gmic'.
Thanks.
Well that is a new one Wink You are breaking experimental ground here I think.

What does Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> Plug-ins tell you about locations for plug-ins.

Is it home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins ? Does running Gimp 2.10 first time make that folder?

Can you add a (single plugin) in ..../usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ the Gimp system folder? All the plugins are now in their own folders but do not need to be.

If you did a sudo apt-get install gimp-gmic that is where that will be.
(02-26-2019, 09:07 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Well that is a new one Wink You are breaking experimental ground here I think.

What does Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> Plug-ins tell you about locations for plug-ins.

Is it home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins ? Does running Gimp 2.10 first time make that folder?

Can you add a (single plugin) in ..../usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ the Gimp system folder? All the plugins are now in their own folders but do not need to be.

If you did a sudo apt-get install gimp-gmic that is where that will be.

I tried the other folder, didn't work. :/ I should have mentioned, after I added plug-ins etc I get errors when GIMP is starting up 

Code:
Failed to execute child process “dbus-launch” (No such file or directory)

(gimp:16): Gtk-WARNING **: 09:37:19.055: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

GIMP-Error: Failed to load data:

Could not open '/home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/brushes/Reid Southen Brushes_8-18-2014.abr' for reading: Error opening file /home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/brushes/Reid Southen Brushes_8-18-2014.abr: Permission denied

Could not open '/home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/dynamics/Color-From-Gradient.gdyn' for reading: Error opening file /home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/dynamics/Color-From-Gradient.gdyn: Permission denied

Could not open '/home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/dynamics/Dynamics-Off.gdyn' for reading: Error opening file /home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/dynamics/Dynamics-Off.gdyn: Permission denied

(script-fu:32): GLib-WARNING **: 09:37:27.850: (../../../../glib/gerror.c:407):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)
script-fu-Warning: Error while loading /home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts/sf-will-animerge_0.scm:

Error: unable to open "/home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts/sf-will-animerge_0.scm"

^Just a small selection.

There are no error messages about plug-ins, no matter which directory they are placed in..
Looks like a permissions issue and remember in linux plug-ins have to be executable. Do not like those warnings about GLib-WARNING / theme engine . Did you copy your Windows Gimp 2.10 profile over wholesale?

Does the Windows linux setup come with a file browser or just a terminal?

If you have a browser it could be possible to check and adjust permissions from that, otherwise a terminal and the chmod command

This is very-very not good practice but might prove things one way or another. In a terminal

Code:
chmod -R 777 /home/zero01/.config/GIMP/2.10/

Makes everything available to all users and everything executable. Only the plugins need to be executable but maybe get something working first.

chmod values, useful calculator here: https://chmod-calculator.com/ and the man page https://linux.die.net/man/1/chmod (in case man chmod in a terminal does not work)
It's just the terminal - at first I tried the flatpak version of gimp but for whatever reason it didn't work, then I used the ppa version, that's what I'm using now, to get GIMP to actually work I had to install an X-Server and have that running in the background, then from the terminal enter: 'export DISPLAY=:0' followed by 'gimp' ! Smile
Quote:Did you copy your Windows Gimp 2.10 profile over wholesale? 
- No I copied some plugins and scripts from my Partha Gimp 2.10 and a whole load of palettes,patterns and gradients..

I tried your chmod suggestion and got it all to work !! Thank you! (except a few which were working with Partha's but not it seems with the regular 2.10) What I really need though, is something to ungroup linked layers as the 'sg-group-linked-layers.scm' script crashes when I try to use it with the error:
Code:
Execution error for 'Ungroup Layer': Error: eval: unbound variable: vector->list

Apart from that and the GUI fonts being very small, all is great!
OK, thanks again.