Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Tool Options" dialog does not dock
Hello Everyone,

I have been running GIMP 2.8.22 under WXP SP3 for some time.

Unfortunately I accidentally "undocked" the Tool Options dialog from the Toolbox and can not re-dock it again.

I tried to drag and drop the Tool Options dialog onto the area on the tool box as was indicated, to no avail.
Configuring the Tool Options tab did not make any difference either, it showed the "Lock tab to Dock" setting check-marked .
Resetting the Tool Options in the preferences to the default values did not work either.
I also tried to reinstall the whole app, it still remembered the un-docked state of the Tool Options dialog.

Just wondering, what gives?

I also have some minor problem of the app focusing on the right window, but I can work around that.
I am wondering if that is somehow behind it.

Is there a key-word in some set-up file that I could change, or editing something in the registry would help?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Peter
Edit>Preferences>Window management and hit the Reset window position [...] button.

But the Tools option dialog docks like others. A common mistake is to drag it by its title bar instead of dragging the tab inside the window (like would would drag tabs between windows in Firefox and Chrome). Then you drop it in an existing dialog, if in the middle this adds it at the same position and creates a tab, near a border you get a blue highlight and the dialog is insert there, shifting/shrinking others.
(03-14-2019, 07:38 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Edit>Preferences>Window management and hit the Reset window position [...] button.

Hi Ofnuts,

That did the trick!
Many thanks for it!

But it still puzzles me why all the other efforts failed. Those were all mentioned in the manual pages!

Thanks again for the help!

Regards, Peter
(03-14-2019, 01:34 PM)orban Wrote: But it still puzzles me why all the other efforts failed. Those were all mentioned in the manual pages!

See the common mistake part of my answer... also plenty of video tutorials for this (one of the few cases where a video tutorial is better than a text explanation).
This a Gimp 2.8 example https://youtu.be/vqEUZvvhFKY
(03-14-2019, 07:38 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: ...

But the Tools option dialog docks like others. A common mistake is to drag it by its title bar instead of dragging the tab inside the window (like would would drag tabs between windows in Firefox and Chrome). Then you drop it in an existing dialog, if in the middle this adds it at the same position and creates a tab, near a border you get a blue highlight and the dialog is insert there, shifting/shrinking others.

I tried it.
It does work indeed!

Thanks for everyone for the help!

Regards, Peter