Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't click Template!!!!
Exclamation 
Hey there, as the title suggests, I can't click templates. Which is weird because it was working fine last time I used it (yesterday).

Now? I get this:
https://i.imgur.com/RRe4MWb.mp4
Have you tried opening the Templates dialog? It's third from the bottom on the Windows > Dockable Dialogs menu? It lists all the contents of your templates folder (which I've not been able to find). You can use it to create new templates and delete the odd sizes you know you'll never use. Double-clicking a template on the dialog list opens a new document with that template. That doesn't answer your question or solve the problem, but for now it's a workaround and who knows? It may jolt the Files > New > Templates path to work again.
(04-10-2019, 04:36 AM)Ritergeek Wrote: Have you tried opening the Templates dialog? It's third from the bottom on the Windows > Dockable Dialogs menu? It lists all the contents of your templates folder (which I've not been able to find). You can use it to create new templates and delete the odd sizes you know you'll never use. Double-clicking a template on the dialog list opens a new document with that template. That doesn't answer your question or solve the problem, but for now it's a workaround and who knows? It may jolt the Files > New > Templates path to work again.

Hey, Ritergeek. For some reason, when I do this, no templates show up.

So I'm guessing this is why my File-New-Templates path isn't working, my templates are simply not there.
So now my next problem is, how to get back my templates and insert them into which folder.

Update:
After reading posts on, http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=133

I've realized I don't have a templaterc folder/file on my laptop anymore.

Will download gimp on another laptop and transfer the files in the morning and see if that works
(04-10-2019, 04:48 AM)iZeus Wrote: Hey, Ritergeek. For some reason, when I do this, no templates show up.

So I'm guessing this is why my File-New-Templates path isn't working, my templates are simply not there.
So now my next problem is, how to get back my templates and insert them into which folder.

Update:
After reading posts on, http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=133

I've realized I don't have a templaterc folder/file on my laptop anymore.

Will download gimp on another laptop and transfer the files in the morning and see if that works

iZeus, that link raises a compelling question. My templates functions are all working perfectly within GIMP, which I updated yesterday to 2.10.10. I have two custom templates intact. However, before I posted my first reply, I searched both the Apps/roaming/... path and the Program Files/GIMP path to look for a templates folder. I found one in the Apps path, but it's empty. No templates folder seems to exist in the Program Files path.

So, where are GIMP templates stored? Does anyone know? I've searched the web and this forum and found no answer. I'd like to copy my custom templates to other computers and to back them up.

Can anyone answer this?
(04-10-2019, 12:21 PM)Ritergeek Wrote: iZeus, that link raises a compelling question. My templates functions are all working perfectly within GIMP, which I updated yesterday to 2.10.10. I have two custom templates intact. However, before I posted my first reply, I searched both the Apps/roaming/... path and the Program Files/GIMP path to look for a templates folder. I found one in the Apps path, but it's empty. No templates folder seems to exist in the Program Files path.

So, where are GIMP templates stored? Does anyone know? I've searched the web and this forum and found no answer. I'd like to copy my custom templates to other computers and to back them up.

Can anyone answer this?

AFAIK, in the templaterc file in your Gimp Profile. To locate the Gimp profile of the executing Gimp,  several ways described here:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfile/
(04-10-2019, 02:00 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 12:21 PM)Ritergeek Wrote: iZeus, that link raises a compelling question. My templates functions are all working perfectly within GIMP, which I updated yesterday to 2.10.10. I have two custom templates intact. However, before I posted my first reply, I searched both the Apps/roaming/... path and the Program Files/GIMP path to look for a templates folder. I found one in the Apps path, but it's empty. No templates folder seems to exist in the Program Files path.

Can anyone answer this?

AFAIK, in the templaterc file in your Gimp Profile. To locate the Gimp profile of the executing Gimp,  several ways described here:

I finally did find templaterc in my User/Apps tree, however,  it's listed as a simple file with no extension. That's in Windows 10 with all extensions enabled. My Templates folder in that stream exists, but it's empty. Out of curiosity, I opened templaterc with Notepad and discovered it is a listing of all templates with their attributes. I assume it's best left alone and any edits should be done with the Templates dialog docker.  Not that it matters, but does anyone know why we have a Template folder that's empty? Is that where we'd put downloaded templates?
(04-10-2019, 02:00 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

Can anyone answer this?

I finally did find templaterc in my User/Apps tree, however,  it's listed as a simple file with no extension. That's in Windows 10 with all extensions enabled. My Templates folder in that stream exists, but it's empty. Out of curiosity, I opened templaterc with Notepad and discovered it is a listing of all templates with their attributes. I assume it's best left alone and any edits should be done with the Templates dialog docker.  Not that it matters, but does anyone know why we have a Template folder that's empty? Is that where we'd put downloaded templates?
I'm having the same issue. I tried uninstalling GIMP and reinstalling GIMP. I tried re-updating GIMP. No luck. Did anyone find a solution?
For a new Gimp installation the templaterc file is created with other files and folders in your Gimp profile.
For Windows that is C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

That folder remains between Gimp re-installations which is why it is very rarely worth reinstalling Gimp ( a peculiar Windows practice Wink  )

First thing to try is delete the whole of the GIMP user profile, this one https://i.imgur.com/cI5kvxw.jpg  Start up Gimp and let it create a new, hopefully complete, profile. Just let it run to scan all fonts and plugins. 

It is not unknown for the profile to be incomplete but very-very rare and usually a MacOS install, although it might be something like a bad font stalling the profile creation.

If the delete - remake does not work, I have attached a zipped profilerc It is just a text file containing standard sizes. Unzip it and put it in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ along with the other xxxxx-rc files.

Attached Files
.zip   templaterc.zip (Size: 1.24 KB / Downloads: 73)
(03-08-2022, 04:45 PM)rich2005 Wrote: For a new Gimp installation the templaterc file is created with other files and folders in your Gimp profile.
For Windows that is C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

That folder remains between Gimp re-installations which is why it is very rarely worth reinstalling Gimp ( a peculiar Windows practice Wink  )

First thing to try is delete the whole of the GIMP user profile, this one https://i.imgur.com/cI5kvxw.jpg  Start up Gimp and let it create a new, hopefully complete, profile. Just let it run to scan all fonts and plugins. 

It is not unknown for the profile to be incomplete but very-very rare and usually a MacOS install, although it might be something like a bad font stalling the profile creation.

If the delete - remake does not work, I have attached a zipped profilerc It is just a text file containing standard sizes. Unzip it and put it in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ along with the other xxxxx-rc files.

Ah, I had deleted the profile from Program Files after uninstalling it but not from Users\"yourname\AppData\Roaming. 

I noticed that the templaterc in Users\"yourname\AppData\Roaming\2.10 only had the text below.

"# GIMP templaterc

# This file will be entirely rewritten each time you exit.

# end of templaterc"

That's weird, right? 

I still had the templaterc file in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\etc\gimp\2.0, which had all the templates in the text, but copying that over did nothing, even after closing and restarting GIMP, so I used your file, which appeared to have the exact same text as the file I had under the Program Files tree, but yours worked, and closing and restarting GIMP didn't seem to change it to the previous weird text, so I think that worked. 

I guess the question is, what did I hit to make it rewrite my templates upon exiting? lol

Anyway, thank you very much! I greatly appreciate it!

-Todd