Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we save custom brush settings?
I'm working on a complex project that involves using a long list of brush settings for different sections. Since I'm keeping parts separated into thirty some layers and counting, I've resorted to entering relevant brush settings in a text document so I can redo sections or replicate. Is there a way to create a palette of brush settings within a GIMP file? It's tedious and time consuming to redo opacity, size, hardness and sometimes spacing each time I switch layers!
(04-10-2019, 12:27 PM)Ritergeek Wrote: I'm working on a complex project that involves using a long list of brush settings for different sections. Since I'm keeping parts separated into thirty some layers and counting, I've resorted to entering relevant brush settings in a text document so I can redo sections or replicate. Is there a way to create a palette of brush settings within a GIMP file? It's tedious and time consuming to redo opacity, size, hardness and sometimes spacing each time I switch layers!

Look at the bottom of the Tool options dialog for all tools (including the Paintbrush). There is a row of icons. Guess what they do.
Thanks Ofnuts for triggering that blinding flash of the obvious. I'll experiment to see if I can save multiple settings for a single brush. In any case, this function will save some of the resetting.
(04-10-2019, 08:03 PM)Ritergeek Wrote: Thanks Ofnuts for triggering that blinding flash of the obvious.  I'll experiment to see if I can save multiple settings for a single brush. In any case, this function will save some of the resetting.

This saves tool settings, so Brush+Size+Angle+Spacing+Dynamics name, etc...
(04-10-2019, 09:52 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 08:03 PM)Ritergeek Wrote: Thanks Ofnuts for triggering that blinding flash of the obvious.  I'll experiment to see if I can save multiple settings for a single brush. In any case, this function will save some of the resetting.

This saves tool settings, so Brush+Size+Angle+Spacing+Dynamics name, etc...

I think I have it now. I see something there about icons, but it seems to work without setting an icon for a brush setting. Precision names will be the key. To add a couple of breadcrumbs to this path, I do see the brushes I set when I click the second bottom icon, the orange circular arrow, to restore a tool preset. My settings are at the top of that list.