Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restoring Tool Options to Toolbox
Amazing that this problem isn't even on the list here. There are dozens of posts, none of which has a solution. And the solution provided in the documentation does not work, at least in the Linux universe.

1: Main menu bar, select 'Windows'
2: Select 'Dockable Dialogs'->'Tool Options'

This should put the 'Tool Options' dockable dialog on the desktop, leaving the Toolbox with a 'drop zone' into which the 'Tool Options' dockable dialog may be dropped. However, in order to drop it (at least in my case, with Gimp 2.8 running under Ubuntu 16.04), contrary to the very confusing instructions in the Gimp docs, I had to grab the 'Tool Options' tab itself -- inside the Tool Options dockable window -- then drag and release inside the drop zone in the Toolbox.

Very annoying. But after nearly three-decades of not having to rely on (or pay for) Photoshop, in favor of a graphics tool that just keeps getting better, all I can say to the Gimp developers is:

Thank you, and keep up the great work.
In case you give the impression to other users that the drag-n-drop is difficult, this was for a forum member (perpetual breaker of gimp)

https://youtu.be/vqEUZvvhFKY

What you should do to prevent a re-occurrence is lock the tab in place.
As "unnatural" as it looks, dragging by the tab inside the window is common, this is also how you move pages between Firefox or Chrome windows, for instance. The application itself isn't notified when its window is moved (which is what happens when you drag the window from the title bar).
Thanks for the prompt reply. I got it working, and I know this reply is too long, so feel free to read/or-not, and erase it, since its mostly off topic.

For a variety of what I believe are very good reasons, I almost never even look at a YT-based technical solution. If you're interested...

Re: YouTube tutorials.

First, its impossible to evaluate whether or not the video-solution is even plausible without investing at least a minute, particularly if you have to watch an ad -- and in many cases, you have to watch at least half of the actual tutorial before you realize it isn't what you're looking for.

Conversely, searching the tech-support communities (stackoverflow, tech-republic, askubuntu, etc.), I can scan a dozen problem descriptive lead-fragments in under a minute and know whether any of them might help. When I pick one, I can quickly verify version releases, identify knowledgeable vs. not-so answers, and link references to 'better' or 'different' scenarios, which may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Re: the GUI paradigm you've adopted for Gimp...

Now that I get it, I like it a lot. This application has so many layers of intuitive potential, its a great credit to your stewardship that you took it on and made it work. (And I haven't even started wading into the video side of things.)

Thanks again for keeping Gimp in the lead.
Same thing about Youtube vs StackOverlfow.

About your last two paragraphs: nobody here is a Gimp developer...