Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color differences jpeg and png
In XNView the jpeg with profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 looks te same as the png and as in the psd file and when viewed in Geeqie. In Gwen it looks dull, the same as when uploaded to the website. An uploaded png with the same profile looks good. So that could mean a difference in server software.

That could also mean Gwen can only show sRGB images when they have no profile, but I checked that by removing the color profile with Imagemagick and the colors are still dull, the same as in Linux Mints Xviewer.

I have been struggling with this for the last two years or so, especially when starting the use Darktable too, and exporting images (both in sRGB and Adobe RGB) for print and web. Should I conclude that Linux still doesn't have good color management??? Which would not mean I'm going to leave Linux. For me there is no turning back to Mac or Windows Wink.
@kneops thank you so very much for posting this in the first instant, truely two years having this problem wow you are patient,

mine started about only six months ago and well I had the idea it was something to do with my new tower set-up,
bought a new coffeelake tower Btw very powerful anyway needed later model kernel for the coffelake - oldish Debian kernel was tearing the graphics on desktop plus other problems, hopped distros to Netrunner Rolling alot better no problems with desktop now.

that's when I noticed this Image Difference and concluded it must be my new setup
because no other person posting similar situation,
again thank you for posting,
that's why I was using a workaround to get the images looking reasonable yes I know not a fix just a workaround.

' Should I conclude that Linux still doesn't have good color management??? ' __ I don't know about that, that is more a Question for @rich2005 and @ofnuts, they are the knowledge bank not me.

this part
'I have been struggling with this for the last two years or so, especially when starting the use Darktable too, and exporting images (both in sRGB and Adobe RGB) for print and web'
Thought__Question ?
The 'image precision options' is it possible the higher the bitrate the more incompatible with Gwen the image ? UMM
Also the perceptual Vs linear options could these options be involved, aren't they newish the extra options ? UMM.
New things (options)can cause problems that no-one could had ever foreseen.

Linux is freedom of and having that freedom allows us to learn ! (mistakes are not fails mistakes are lessons) that's how I see it,
some smart person Quoted " If you don't fail you won't learn" no copyright that I know of. heehee

This morning decided that over the next few days, this is the plan
sounds a bit silly or over the top (anyone thoughts ahhg I'll just do it)

time permitting, other things todo,

- get all the image viewers I can find in pamac or octopi ( that's the silly part)
- get the troubled images and run that select few in all the image viewers
- make a list of results and post it here in a few days time,
- keep the best of the viewer's for my use, keep Gwenview for comparison, and if Gwen still displays washed out images or not anymore in many months time and later.
- un-install the image viewers not wanted,

This weekend looks good for the viewers comparisons Raining and more rain expected next few days, very nice,
Bingo LOOK AT THIS

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Png-an...mely-light
Photo 
I just read that other post, but my psd is in 8 bit rgb, perceptual, and exported to jpeg and png the images look both fine, except the jpeg when opened in Gwen or uploaded to the web.

Left jpeg in Geeqie
Right jpeg in Gwen (and how it looks after uploaded to a website)

Hello kneops

That's not quite as bad as what I was getting but in your situation (web content)you do need the images to be a lot better, I'll keep an eye on this post for sure,

I'm sure that if anyone thinks of something you can try they will let you know and soon,

Have you had a chance to check other image viewers that might, just might be worth it if Gwen if not displaying properly.
Just an observation. The dulling effect is typical of a conversion from RGB to CMYK. Gimp will not open CMYK psd files but it will open (as RGB) a cmyk jpeg

Gimp shows the difference but typically an image viewer does not.

It is a pity Elle Stone https://ninedegreesbelow.com has abandoned https://discuss.pixls.us/ However I still think you would be better asking the question there.