Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to update and extend Gimp 2.10.10
I’m using Gimp 2.10.10 in Windows 10.

Now the last version is 2.10.12,so I have to update.

I’m a beginner and would like to enrich Gimp with “Resynthesizer” and watercolor brushes,for example.

Can anyone tell me where I can find extensions for Gimp? with some descriptions, because
I did several searches but I didn’t find much

I read that "Registry" existed long ago, but it no longer exists.

I found G'MIC, but I don't know what it contains.

Someone recommended Partha's version to me, but I don’t know what it contains and I read the "Installation instructions" and I have doubts.

For example:

1. Do I need to uninstall the .10 version before installing the latest .12?
  2. The computer can ask me for the administrator's password, I don't know where to find it
  3. Delete all the Gimp references from the registry, I don't know how to do
  4. Use Windows to associate this version with the desired image formats, I wouldn't know how to do it.
Please, someone can help me clarify my doubts and suggest a way to enrich Gimp 2.10.12

Thank you
Resynthesizer can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gwc928wmwt..._32_64.zip

Watercolor brushes:
Gimp comes with a few. There are also the MyPaint brushes.
There are hundreds on the internet. Google "Gimp watercolor brushes". Many photoshop (.abr) brushes will also work with Gimp.

where I can find extensions for Gimp:
They are not all stored in one place. If there is a particular plug-in that you need, ask. Someone will point you in the right direction.

G'MIC:
G'MIC contains about 500 plug-ins. The G'MIC website gives you a good idea what it contains. Better still, install and experiment.

Partha comes with many popular plug-ins already installed. Can save you a lot of time finding plug-ins and installing yourself.

You don't need to uninstall 2.10 before installing 2.12.

The computer can ask me for the administrator's password, I don't know where to find it:
Can't help you with that. It is a Windows thing. Set by the person who setup your computer.

Delete all the Gimp references from the registry, I don't know how to do:
Why? Probably not necessary unless you have a specific problem.

Use Windows to associate this version with the desired image formats:
Another Windows thing. Google "Windows file associations"
Quick summary: In Windows Explorer right click on a file and select "Open With". Select the app (Gimp) and check "Always use this app to open this file type"
Blightys reply is much the same as mine, but since I spent time writing it for-what-it-is-worth here it is Wink

Quote:I’m using Gimp 2.10.10 in Windows 10. Now the last version is 2.10.12,so I have to update.

You do not have to update, There are some bug-fixes but Gimp 2.10.10 remains perfectly usable.

Quote:I’m a beginner and would like to enrich Gimp with “Resynthesizer” and watercolor brushes,for example.
Can anyone tell me where I can find extensions for Gimp? with some descriptions, because I did several searches but I didn’t find much

These are resources and come in different categories resynthesizer is a plugin,
You can get the files here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Resynt...or-Windows and a demo of how it works with the heal-selection.

Quote:I read that "Registry" existed long ago, but it no longer exists. I found G'MIC, but I don't know what it contains.

The gimp-plugin-registry site has gone but it only contained old files anyway. A plugin like G'mic contains 500+ filters and is suitable for Gimp 2.10 If you go to https://gmic.eu/gallery/ it shows examples for many of the filters. The windows installer for gmic_gimp_qt make installation simple.

Brushes, patterns, gradients are a somewhat different category, A search for Gimp +brushes will find plenty.
example https://www.deviantart.com/resources/app...-all-time/

A reminder that Gimp 2.10 comes with MyPaint brushes that has 'water color' varieties.

Quote:Someone recommended Partha's version to me, but I don’t know what it contains and I read the "Installation instructions" and I have doubts.

Partha's Gimp is a good version. It contains one or two extras that some find useful. It is a simple installer. "May ask for Admin Password" In my experience you ignore that and continue. It installs in a separate folder to the regular Gimp, so it is possible to try it out without removing your existing Gimp.

"Do I need to uninstall the .10 version before installing the latest .12?"
No. The gimp.org Gimp installer uninstalls any old version

"The computer can ask me for the administrator's password, I don't know where to find it"
It is your computer, however in my experience, Windows lets you continue anyway.

"Delete all the Gimp references from the registry, I don't know how to do"
In normal circumstances, you do not need to do this.

"Use Windows to associate this version with the desired image formats, I wouldn't know how to do it."
Any number of 'how-to's' if you search example https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-f...ws-2624477

Quote:Please, someone can help me clarify my doubts and suggest a way to enrich Gimp 2.10.12

I my experience beginners to Gimp fall into the trap of adding lots of scripts, plugins, brushes, fonts... thinking it will make them better. It does not. It just clogs Gimp up with functions that are seldom/never used. There are plenty functions/filters in the regular Gimp. Get to know those first.
Wise advice, I will begin to have more confidence in Gimp.
I will only download Resynthesizer (not the version of Mediafire), because for a while I used "content aware fill" in Photoshop and it was useful.
Gimp is a bit different from Photoshop, so I have to get to know it better. Then in the near future I will think about extending it.
For now, thank you for your help, now I have clearer ideas