Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp started giving trouble drawing straight lines (solved)
I am using Gimp 2.8.10 on Xubuntu. Been working on drawings regarding a garage I'm building. Drawing a lot of straight lines by using the shift key. It's been working fine for days. I don't know what I did but now It puts a mild sawtooth pattern on every line. I've read everything I could find with Google but found nothing. Please help and thank you in advance.

BTW: Been using Gimp for years for all sorts of stuff. Great software! This is the first major problem I've had and of course it happened when I'm in a hurry.
Using the pencil instead of the brush? There is no anti-aliasing in the pencil.
There is an option "apply jitter". Maybe it's activated unwantedly?
(08-21-2019, 06:38 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Using the pencil instead of the brush? There is no anti-aliasing in the pencil.

Tried that. Same Problem.

(08-21-2019, 07:22 AM)nelo Wrote: There is an option "apply jitter". Maybe it's activated unwantedly?

Yeah, it wasn't checked. I checked it and tried that in case it's counterintuative. No help.

I tried uninstalling Gimp and reinstalling it again. No effect. In fact when I restarted it it everything was in place as if I hadn't uninstalled it. The curser was a pencil, for example.
Running out of options

Small grid spacing and snap to grid enabled might be the problem.

Make sure brush dynamics is set to off.

Can you post a screenshot of the 'sawtooth' line and including tool options in force.

Uninstalling Gimp rarely helps. All the settings are stored in your Gimp profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10 and the problem is probably there.
I will later. Have to go to work right now. Thanks for the idea.

(08-21-2019, 03:22 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Small grid spacing and snap to grid enabled might be the problem.

Make sure brush dynamics is set to off.

Can you explain how to do this?
The dynamics option is (1)

Since you already tried a re-install as a hope-and-a-wish.

Reset all the tool options back to default, as you get when first installed. Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options and click on the reset button. (2)

[Image: dSCCjpp.jpg]
Did the reset and all seems to be working. thanks!