Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I add a plug-in to GIMP 2.10 using Mac 10.15
Since upgrading both Mac OS and GIMP (from 2.8 to 2.10), I lost a plug-in I was using, and cannot figure out how to add in new OS. Any Mac users out there that might be able to help me?
(05-08-2020, 05:05 AM)itmakesyousmile Wrote: Since upgrading both Mac OS and GIMP (from 2.8 to 2.10), I lost a plug-in I was using, and cannot figure out how to add in new OS. Any Mac users out there that might be able to help me?

You partly answered the question,   Any Mac users out there that might be able to help me?  Not many on this forum.

Things to check: The Gimp 2.8 user profile is in a different location to the 2.10 user profile.

Check in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> plug-ins for the Gimp 2.10  location.

Is the plug-in compiled? Some of these are compiled for a specific versions of both MacOS and Gimp Might be the wrong mix.

Is the plug-in a python file?  something.py  Is python working in Gimp?  There should be a Python-Fu entry in Filters to show it is working.

plug-ins need to be executable, always check.
Check that you have Python support: near the bottom of the "Filters" menu you should have a "Python-fu" submenu, with a "Console" entry. If these are missing your Gimp is missing the Python support,
(05-08-2020, 03:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Check that you have Python support: near the bottom of the "Filters"  menu you should have a "Python-fu" submenu, with a "Console" entry. If these are missing your Gimp is missing the Python support,

Thank you. Yes, I do have Filters>Python-fu>Console.

(05-08-2020, 08:03 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 05:05 AM)itmakesyousmile Wrote: Since upgrading both Mac OS and GIMP (from 2.8 to 2.10), I lost a plug-in I was using, and cannot figure out how to add in new OS. Any Mac users out there that might be able to help me?

You partly answered the question,   Any Mac users out there that might be able to help me?  Not many on this forum.

Things to check: The Gimp 2.8 user profile is in a different location to the 2.10 user profile.

Check in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> plug-ins for the Gimp 2.10  location.

Is the plug-in compiled? Some of these are compiled for a specific versions of both MacOS and Gimp Might be the wrong mix.

Is the plug-in a python file?  something.py  Is python working in Gimp?  There should be a Python-Fu entry in Filters to show it is working.

plug-ins need to be executable, always check.

Thanks for your response. This was helpful. Just in case there are any other Mac users reading this, what I ended up doing was using the location information to go to the folder, but there was no plug-ins folder. I simply created one, put the .py file in there, restarted, and 'voila!' - it's there and works.