Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image distortion for historical comparisons
Hello,

I would like to take photos of places photographed in the past (old postcards), to show the changes. The problem is that, even if we have found the place from which the old photo was taken and a roughly equivalent field width, distortions appear and make the photos noticeably different.

I wonder wheter Gimp transformation tools are suitable for this purpose. I tried most of them - most especially the unified one - but, even if they give some interesting results, I am not fully satisfied. Please, could you advice me ?

I imagine a tool which would consist in defining pairs of dots (one on the old photo, the other one on the recent photo) as done with Hugin when assembling photos to make a panoramic views. Then the distortion f the new photo would be computed. Do you know if such software exist ?

I hope having asked my question in the right section.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Piblo
(05-25-2020, 11:34 PM)Piblo Wrote: I imagine a tool which would consist in defining pairs of dots (one on the old photo, the other one on the recent photo) as done with Hugin when assembling photos to make a panoramic views. Then the distortion f the new photo would be computed. Do you know if such software exist ?

Yes, Hugin. It appears that it can align a stack of photos: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/docs/manual...hotos.html
Hi Ofnuts. Thank you for the advice. Hugin is a complex software that I already use for panoramic views. I will try to use it for the photographic renewal. I'll post my experience here.