Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gradient fill with symbol
Quote:.... I'm having trouble with the fuzzy select tool. The outer and circle layer of the mandela turned out fine but I'm having some trouble with the centre. I put the threshold to 0 and put the fuzzy tool in addition mode, but for whatever reason it will either select just 1 or 2 pixels at a time, or it will select everything....

It all comes with practice. Gimp has a learning curve and there are always different ways to end up with a result.

The fuzzy select tool is not that clever, it tries to select 'similar' until it hits 'different' and stops. 'Similar' depends on that threshold value from 0 (identical) to 255 (everything) the default is quite low (15). Try raising the threshold a little.

Is it the center black circle you are trying to select? I would be inclined not to bother with a selection. Paint it into the image afterwards.

However:
Using fuzzy select will select all the black parts of the image.
It is possible using a different tool Quick Mask Select -> Quick Mask
Toggle quick mask on -> Paint the selection in white -> toggle quick mask off.
Finish off selecting the other parts as before Fuzzy select in addition mode.

see if this makes any sense to you: https://i.imgur.com/uPuVAKG.mp4

The main thing is use layers and more layers, Beginners try and select / fill into an outline which usually gives noticeable borders. The idea is paint/fill under the outline, eliminating those borders.
(05-29-2020, 10:03 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:.... I'm having trouble with the fuzzy select tool. The outer and circle layer of the mandela turned out fine but I'm having some trouble with the centre. I put the threshold to 0 and put the fuzzy tool in addition mode, but for whatever reason it will either select just 1 or 2 pixels at a time, or it will select everything....

It all comes with practice. Gimp has a learning curve and there are always different ways to end up with a result.

The fuzzy select tool is not that clever, it tries to select 'similar' until it hits 'different' and stops. 'Similar' depends on that threshold value  from 0 (identical) to 255 (everything) the default is quite low (15). Try raising the threshold a little.

Is it the center black circle you are trying to select?  I would be inclined not to bother with a selection. Paint it into the image afterwards.

However:
Using fuzzy select will select all the black parts of the image.
It is possible using a different tool Quick Mask Select -> Quick Mask
Toggle quick mask on -> Paint the selection in white -> toggle quick mask off.
Finish off selecting the other parts as before Fuzzy select in addition mode.

see if this makes any sense to you: https://i.imgur.com/uPuVAKG.mp4

The main thing is use layers and more layers, Beginners try and select / fill into an outline which usually gives noticeable borders. The idea is paint/fill under the outline, eliminating those borders.

Ok so I tried what you suggested on imagur and even tried experimenting with the threshold. Same thing keeps happening, the tool will either under select or over-select everything. I'm still not completely sure what I'm doing wrong. I attached the file itself so hopefully you can give me further insight to what's going on.  As, to what i'm trying to select its the innermost petals surrounding the black centre.

Attached Files
.xcf   mandala pattern.xcf (Size: 795.52 KB / Downloads: 171)
My fault, I did not notice that you were using a small 500 x 500 pix image, too small to select those areas with fuzzy select. I found a larger version where fuzzy select works ok.  It is a common image, there is even a scalable-vector-graphics (SVG) version here: https://openclipart.org/detail/224802/mandala-line-art That imports into Gimp any size you want, but is no real help, no center line paths, it was never meant to be coloured-in.

What you can do for simplicity is just paint in, on a layer under the shape, using a very small brush. Sorry no quick-fix.

What is really needed is rebuilding the shape using a path. The initial shape is a simple 'petal' shape. Duplicated, rotated, merged several times to get the whole. That as a selection fills as needed.

The file attached as an example, but really this is  getting into more advanced territory. Ok for this image but what about the next one ? Using Gimp really is all about building up your own knowledge base. Keep experimenting.

Attached Files
.gz   mandala pattern-with-path.xcf.gz (Size: 364.28 KB / Downloads: 145)