Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crashed Plugins?
Any time I use the Guides function in Gimp, it leaves behind a Script-Fu window, which has invariably crashed. 

I have removed Gimp completely and re-installed, but this still happens.  Is this a known bug?

In fact every time I use some sort of plugin, it leaves an open icon on my taskbar. (in the form of an exec icon)

Couple of images to show what I mean.

thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

Barry
All I can say is that plugins (python or binary) are executed as separate processes by Gimp (if if they crash, Gimp doesn't crash with them). Scripts (SCM) are also executed in a separate process (but this process is the same for all scripts during a Gimp session).

Normally, plugin processes are removed once the plugin is done so these icons should not stay around.

Do you have any way to display the process tree and check what child processes of Gimp are still accounted for?
(07-29-2020, 11:21 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: All I can say is that plugins (python or binary) are executed as separate processes by Gimp (if if they crash, Gimp doesn't crash with them). Scripts (SCM) are also executed in a separate process (but this process is the same for all scripts during a Gimp session).

Normally, plugin processes are removed once the plugin is done so these icons should not stay around.

Do you have any way to display the process tree and check what child processes of Gimp are still accounted for?

Thanks for your reply.  To be honest, wouldn't know where to look for the process tree.  Did find this though, is this what you were meaning? Or is there somewhere else I can look?

many thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Barry
Usual caveat - there are very few (ie. none) regular MacOS users who visit this forum. This an older Mac VM and a Gimp 2.10.10

I can see the problem: this for reference: [Image: d8sabeV.jpg]

(1) I can apply script-fu filters, the above has had guides-by-percent added followed by the coffee-stain filter. They both worked.
(2) Minimizing Gimp there is indeed the last used script-fu filter hiding behind Gimp on the desktop.
(3) The only way I could get a second script-fu icon showing is open the script-fu terminal, but that closes when I close the terminal.

Trying python plugins (heal-selection) and the newer GEGL filters and they worked as I would expect. Nothing left behind.

Is it a big problem ? The running script-fu (and icon) closes when you close Gimp.
I am 99% not familiar with MacOS Maybe you can explain. A right click on the script-fu icon gave an option to "show all windows" and it does show the script-fu window. However that also seems to close it, repeated the process and got a 'no windows to show'. However the icon is still there in the toolbar.

I would say it is probably a bug, that not-responding you reported is there. You can report bugs at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues Is it worth the effort ? The developers use linux. There seems to be one person who compiles the MacOS version and they are missing-in-action at the moment.
Hi

Seems to be the same issue as you detailed.  Not a huge problem, it can be ignored until I close Gimp.  More an annoyance than anything else tbh.  I'm not that clued up with background processes so wouldn't know where to start to diagnose.

thanks anyhow.

Barry
Looks like there's already an (old) issue reported: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/714