Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editting on non-visible layers
Hello friends,

Sometime I mistakingly think I am editing a top layer that is visible but in fact another layer that is selected (but is not visible) is being edited without me realizing.

in the preferences I have not checked:

"Allow editting on non-visible layers".

Yet this happens.

could someone explain what I am doing wrong?

Thx

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think "Non visible" means "With the visibility turned off", not "Masked by another layer".
(08-03-2020, 06:33 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: I think "Non visible" means "With the visibility turned off", not "Masked by another layer".

Thank you. You most likely are right. 

Although a feature like that would be nice (disabling the possibility of editing a layer that is not visible on the screen).

Cheers
(08-05-2020, 03:27 AM)Gimpah Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 06:33 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: I think "Non visible" means "With the visibility turned off", not "Masked by another layer".

Although a feature like that would be nice (disabling the possibility of editing a layer that is not visible on the screen).

Cheers

Depending on the layer modes of the layers above, a layer down the stack can participate to the visible output. And even in the case of all layers in Normal mode, Gimp would have to check the opacity of all the pixels on all the layers to be able to tell, a bit  heavy to compute a flag for the UI.
(08-05-2020, 07:01 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 03:27 AM)Gimpah Wrote:

Cheers

Depending on the layer modes of the layers above, a layer down the stack can participate to the visible output. And even in the case of all layers in Normal mode, Gimp would have to check the opacity of all the pixels on all the layers to be able to tell, a bit  heavy to compute a flag for the UI.

Thank you for your response.
To be honest I am not familiar with how other layer modes work (I always use Normal mode) so I can't say I understand what you mean. Now I am intrigued to take some time to learn and come back and read this again.
Hi everyone!

I have a project with many layers, all somewhat overlapping. I would like to delete the parts of the layers that are "hidden" (not visible when looking at the overall image--areas of layers that are hidden under another layer). The purpose of this is to be able to move/combine layers freely, without worrying about the "hidden" parts of the layers becoming visible (which is undesirable). I want to avoid cleaning up the layers by hand (i.e. manually erasing the "hidden" parts of the layers)--I have over 100 layers and this would be painstaking and very time consuming. free movies download
Any suggestions?