Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 stalling while rescaling image
I'm working on some old photos and scaling several up for printing. About half the time, GIMP stalls out in the process and when it does complete, it takes anywhere from several seconds to a few minutes. I do not know if this is a problem with GIMP or my computer. I'm using a fully updated (10.0.19401 Build 19041) installation of Windows 10 Home on a 2017 HP Pavilion with an Intel i7-8700 processor, 5.81 GB available physical memory and 23.8 GB of Available Virtual memory. I have no problems with anything else, and the images that stall out GIMP rescale instantly in IrfanView. 

I've begun saving and copying my initial crop and whatever small amount of work I may have done before I begin scaling in GIMP, then if necessary, paste the copied image into IrfanView for scaling, pasting it back into GIMP. 

My most recent stalled image entered GIMP at 1321 x 942 pixels (4.40 x 3.14 in). It stalled when I attempted to scale it to 2100 x 1500 pixels (5 x 7 in). As I said, it scaled instantly in IrfanView with perfectly acceptable results, but I'd prefer to stay in GIMP. 

Any explanations or suggestions?
Quote:....My most recent stalled image entered GIMP at 1321 x 942 pixels (4.40 x 3.14 in). It stalled when I attempted to scale it to 2100 x 1500 pixels (5 x 7 in). As I said, it scaled instantly in IrfanView with perfectly acceptable results, but I'd prefer to stay in GIMP. 
Any explanations or suggestions?

That should not happen. Has your Windows OS received the latest update that seems to cause some users problems?
Tongue 
Quote:That should not happen. Has your Windows OS received the latest update that seems to cause some users problems?

I don't know if it's "that one," but it did update earlier the week and took some time to complete. That's probably it. Always something! Tongue
You could try a different Windows compilation of Gimp 2.10.22 in case it is some library conflict - There is the partha version, https://www.partha.com/ Installs to a separate folder and from memory uses the existing User profile. Worth a try
(11-20-2020, 03:16 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You could try a different Windows compilation of Gimp 2.10.22 in case it is some library conflict - There is the partha version, https://www.partha.com/  Installs to a separate folder and from memory uses the existing User profile. Worth a try

That sounds worth a try, but his instructions say to rip out previous versions. just to be sure, is the Partha version actually different, or it just installs in a different folder?
Don't remove your existing Gimp, any reference to removing old version probably applies to Partha versions.

By default it installs in a folder C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.10.22\ and uses your existing user profile, so it should pick up any existing settings. Example: https://i.imgur.com/eIGVNuK.jpg

Is it different from the gimp.org version? Well partha compiles it from the same source so it is Gimp 2.10.22 You can see obvious differences Python is 2.7.8 versus 2.7.18 (not a bad thing) Digging into the files, looks like many are static (everything bundled in) versions, rather than dynamic (collection of individual files). Example: https://i.imgur.com/CEWiIS6.jpg Does not make any difference in use.

Snags: It incorporates several extra plugins, good and bad. Resynthesizer and a reasonably up-to-date gimp_gmic_qt - good but then a section of python plugins that link to some old PS plugins that the user might download. Not a problem, ignore then or delete them. The only real troublesome one is NufRAW which will stop Gimp importing a SVG file. (I use NufRAW in linux and have it disabled until required to import a RAW image).

It is just a suggestion. I can only try this in an old Win10 virtualbox VM. Not updated, the way MS updates that takes far to long. It might make no difference to your Gimp crash issue.
Thanks Rich. The Partha version seems to have worked and it did pick up my settings. I opened a fresh image and scaled it to 200%. The transformation was instantly complete. Life is good.

Now, I do import SVG files now and then want to rip out NufRAW. If I ever knew where to find plugins, I've forgotten. Could you point me to them, for my benefit and also others who may read this thread later?

Again, thanks for sharing your boundless wisdom, especially across the platform gap.
I would disable nufraw like this:
Look in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.10.22\gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\nufraw-gimp
Rename nufraw-gimp.exe to nufraw-gimp.exe.bak That will stop Gimp loading it on start-up.

That works for me Wink

Still very strange the crash in the gimp.org version