Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugins,Knoppix, Directories, etc
Following is a screen shot showing my gimp/preferences/folders/plugins set up utility (lower left), as well as open shots of the two folders specified.

Perhaps I am just confusing myself unnecessarily, but most of the time when I read instructions of how to install a plugin, the instructions are to add the plugin to one of the directories specified in preferences.

But, when you look at my screen shot, you can see that there are only two "free standing" files in my usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins folder, with all other contents being in sub-directories.

This is the as-installed configuration that came in the *.iso that I created my Knoppix 8.6.1 live system from, so I am asking:

1.)  Is this the way things are normally supposed to be? Or is there a structural problem that I should be thinking about correcting before I add new plug-ins and create a new install onto USB flash drive?

2.) Can gimp "read" the contents of subdirectories that are not explicitly mentioned in the paths as specified in the preferences/folders set up utility?

[Image: UMG8XRc.png]

Quote:1.) Is this the way things are normally supposed to be?
That is correct. At the moment Gimp 2.10 accepts either the plugin executable or the executable in a folder of the same name. Certainly xsane is a symbolic link to wherever xsane is installed. rawphoto? is that some RAW loader.

Quote:2.) Can gimp "read" the contents of subdirectories that are not explicitly mentioned in the paths as specified in the preferences/folders
I suppose you can add a symbolic link (like the xsane one) to a file in one of the paths specified. Best way is add an extra path. The default for Gimp 2.8 (~/.gimp-2.8) was not too bad. When Gimp 2.10 came along so did my ~/gimp210/ folder structure. A bit more convenient than the regular one Wink
(02-03-2021, 06:26 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:1.)  Is this the way things are normally supposed to be?
That is correct. At the moment Gimp 2.10 accepts either the  plugin executable or the executable in a folder of the same name. Certainly xsane is a symbolic link to wherever xsane is installed. rawphoto? is that some RAW loader.

Quote:2.) Can gimp "read" the contents of subdirectories that are not explicitly mentioned in the paths as specified in the preferences/folders
I suppose you can add a symbolic link (like the xsane one) to a file in one of the paths specified.  Best way is add an extra path. The default for Gimp 2.8  (~/.gimp-2.8) was not too bad. When Gimp 2.10 came along so did my ~/gimp210/ folder structure. A bit more convenient than the regular one Wink

Thanks, I saw your reply to the similar question in the windows section, after I posed this. 

So then I guess that the name that gimp looks for to find the resynthesizer  plug-in is "resynth-linux"? Regardless if it is gimp under debian, or gimp under ubuntu, or even gimp under Red Hat?  

I think that is one of the things that keep us newbies so unsure of ourselves, never knowing where inviolable differences leave off, and compatibilities begin.

And the resynthesizer binaries and PY scripts all stay in that resynth-linux  subdirectory?

I've decided to press myself and I'm going to try and encompass  several of my desires into fixes, and  then remaster my existing knoppix install into a new, live USB, making the patches permanent. 

If some of these question seem anal, it's just because I'm trying avoid having to do it all twice.

Quote:..So then I guess that the name that gimp looks for to find the resynthesizer plug-in is "resynth-linux"? Regardless if it is gimp under debian, or gimp under ubuntu, or even gimp under Red Hat?
And the resynthesizer binaries and PY scripts all stay in that resynth-linux subdirectory?

Nope. You need a folder for each plugin.
folder resynthesizer for plugin resynthesizer
folder resynthesizer-gui for plugin resynthesizer-gui
..and so on..
folder plugin-heal-selection for plugin plugin-heal-selection.py
(02-03-2021, 06:59 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Nope. You need a folder for each plugin. 
folder resynthesizer for plugin resynthesizer
folder resynthesizer-gui for plugin resynthesizer-gui
..and so on..
folder plugin-heal-selection for plugin plugin-heal-selection.py

Man, I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am for that info.