Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a better scanner
I just revived an Epson V200 scanner (could be about 10 years old?). Made it to work under Linux. Output looks fine.

But it's a bit slow. So I wonder if a new scanner would be significantly faster? Epson has a V39 (€100) and a V600 (€450).

Any inputs from those who have a scanner?
(02-11-2021, 04:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I just revived an Epson V200 scanner (could be about 10 years old?). Made it to work under Linux. Output looks fine.

But it's a bit slow. So I wonder if a new scanner would be significantly faster? Epson has a V39 (€100) and a V600 (€450).

Any inputs from those who have a scanner?

No replies? A friend has a V600 but is a Windows / PS Elements user. Says it is very good.

Obviously the V600 has 48 bit output and can scan film. SANE support is listed as  unsupported /  supported by the epkowa backend plus non-free interpreter noted as unmaintained. That is true of the whole range V10 through to V600

Seem to recall reports that 48 bit output can be a problem in linux. (PClinuxOS - not sure about 'buntu)

As an aside, my old 2005 Canon Lide 30, USB powered, plug it in works straight away. 

Otherwise, my regular is a Brother printer/scanner - good linux support, works usb or wireless using xsane, but nothing special in the way of output.
I was ogling the V600 but it is a tad expensive for an item that I won't use that often. It is also a lot thicker than the V200, and I would have to find a new setup of my hackplace (can't really call it a "workplace") to accomodate it (already has to house 4 computers).