Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repeated crashes after working fine for weeks
(06-02-2021, 08:33 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 07:23 PM)StageMan Wrote: Even thought Gimp developers aren't getting paid they need to put the Folders/Directories and Files in Folders named Gimp. No matter where they are on the Drive.
I do believe I'll be sticking with PSP.

On, Windows, your profile is in AppData/Roaming because this is where Windows want is to be. In corporate setups where you can log on self-serve PCs, this directory is copied from the server to the machine where you log. In fact Windows would prefer that Gimp keeps everything in the registry...

<bragging rights>40 years in the IT industry, from 1980...</bragging rights>

OfNuts,

I spent some hours figuring out what was causing my Gimp issue. Uninstalled and reinstall different versions from 2.10.00. Going in a and attempting the same procedure that it originally was locking up in. It was doing the same thing no matter what version I was using, So I tweaked out my graphics card (AMD Radeon) and  I tweaked out my box some but to no avail. Last possibility was that it had to something in Gimps Preferences/Settings. So, after all that time. I had to familiarize myself with Gimp Preferences. 
What I did was start right at the first entry of "System Resources" and I planned to to work my through all the Preferences. 
How I trouble shoot is... one change at a time, reload and test what was locking up. I'd never heard of Kibibytes, Mebibytes, Gibibytes. I found a Conversion on DuckDuckGo.com 
I couldn't believe what the default reserves where. On the "Maximum undo memory" was  like 1980005 Kibibytes, which is over 2 Gigs, and the default "Tile cache size" was set to like double that. I changed it down to 293000 Kibibytes (200 Megabytes) and 586000 Mebibytes (400 Megabytes) and... "voila!" no more locking up! 
I didn't have to go past "System Resources".  So it looks like I won't be going back to PSP, LOL.
BUT! What I don't like about Gimp is... I don't know how to use it effectively, LOL But I'm really excited to learn now!  Big Grin
Quick question... do you know anyone that knows how to "Stroke text that's been applied to "Text Along Path". I can do it as straight text... but then it appears the text turns into just a Layer and then the option of  "Text Along Path" is not available. Any direction, suggestions... would be greatly appreciated. 

StageMan
Quote:...snip...Quick question... do you know anyone that knows how to "Stroke text that's been applied to "Text Along Path". I can do it as straight text... but then it appears the text turns into just a Layer and then the option of  "Text Along Path" is not available.

Any operation on a text layer, say, make a selection-fill-selection converts the text layer to a regular bitmap layer. The best solution is preventative. Either duplicate the text layer or create a new layer and apply the effect to the new layer.

If you have stroked the path in the text layer you can get it back, with limitations, using the text tool and clicking in the ex-text-layer.

Quote:...text turns into just a Layer and then the option of  "Text Along Path" is not available
hmm..maybe you need to reverse the work flow, text along path, which creates a deformed path followed by a fill-path and stroke-path.
(06-06-2021, 07:31 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...snip...Quick question... do you know anyone that knows how to "Stroke text that's been applied to "Text Along Path". I can do it as straight text... but then it appears the text turns into just a Layer and then the option of  "Text Along Path" is not available.

Any operation on a text layer, say, make a selection-fill-selection converts the text layer to a regular bitmap layer. The best solution is preventative. Either duplicate the text layer or create a new layer and apply the effect to the new layer.

If you have stroked the path in the text layer you can get it back, with limitations, using the text tool and clicking in the ex-text-layer.

Quote:...text turns into just a Layer and then the option of  "Text Along Path" is not available
hmm..maybe you need to reverse  the work flow, text along path, which creates a deformed path followed by a fill-path and stroke-path.
That might work. I'll give it a shot. Thank you.
It looks like you're still using 2.8. I wish I had stuck with 2.8 until I got used to it, but 2 days after I installed it, I could only find YouTube vids that used 2.10 and above
Quote: ....snip...It looks like you're still using 2.8....

No, that is a Gimp 2.10.22 I just set it up because I think the old Gimp docks arrangement was very practical, and find the default black theme very hard on the eyes.
There are a few hints in this post https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Fit-Gi...r-computer , For a smaller monitor but still applicable. I use a HD 1920x1040 display no problem there.
I also like the 'compact' tool groups that came in after Gimp 2.10.14 - a great space saver. I do keep a 'portable' Gimp 2.8 just for those questions about it. I would not really want to go back to it full time. Using Windows, there are still portable versions of Gimp 2.8 around, unfortunately the better ones (64 bit from partha) are not so easy to find, needs a delve into the internet archive Smile
It is also possible in Windows to have both a regular Gimp 2.10 and a 2.8 A bit of a Windows registry PITA
see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-IS-the...-no-errors
(06-06-2021, 07:31 AM)rich2005 Wrote:

hmm..maybe you need to reverse  the work flow, text along path, which creates a deformed path followed by a fill-path and stroke-path.

Hello Rich2005,  It worked! Thank You!
Best Regards, 
StageMan