Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuzzy tool select not working
(01-09-2021, 06:49 AM)Gimptropy Wrote: I know this thread is old, but this is the first one to come up when I search this problem, and I wanted to add one timely issue regarding the malfunctioning of Gimp tools, leading me to create a rule of thumb that I have had to use more than once: if something isn't working, check out the developer's main website.

If I had done this before looking high and low all over the internet, I would have read:
Updated on 2020-12-24: GIMP 2.10.22 DMG revision 1
GIMP 2.10.22 build for macOS - has known performance issues on Big Sur

and looking more into it, I found that these "known performance issues" include the fuzzy select tool not staying selected. Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can do now until this is fixed besides downgrade my operating system.

I'm hoping it's fixed soon. But it might happen to you sometime in the future, so I'm adding it here for one more thing to be aware of.

Thanks for posting this - I have the same issue and thought I was going insane!
(02-14-2021, 10:53 AM)skev Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 06:49 AM)Gimptropy Wrote: I know this thread is old, but this is the first one to come up when I search this problem, and I wanted to add one timely issue regarding the malfunctioning of Gimp tools, leading me to create a rule of thumb that I have had to use more than once: if something isn't working, check out the developer's main website.

If I had done this before looking high and low all over the internet, I would have read:

and looking more into it, I found that these "known performance issues" include the fuzzy select tool not staying selected. Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can do now until this is fixed besides downgrade my operating system.

I'm hoping it's fixed soon. But it might happen to you sometime in the future, so I'm adding it here for one more thing to be aware of.

Also.. Thanks for posting this - I also thought I was going insane.  Hate when tutorials say step 1,2,3,4 etc but step 1 or 2 doesn't work for me.  
Is there a fix for this? Having the same problem where i can't select anything. If i lower the fuzzy select threshold it flashes purple! But does not select.

Very very frustrating!
The selection is made, it is the 'crawling-ants' display that is broken with bigsur

There is a very long bug report here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5952 quoting from that

Quote:The issue can be summed up as "Selection-outlines (a.k.a. marching-ants) are not being drawn in GIMP on MacOS 11".
Specifically:

This applies to all selection tools (area, fuzzy, etc) and modes (add, remove).

Toggling "Show selection" does not address this issue

We know a selection is happening because:

if you click on the "quick mask" button it will correctly mask any non-selected regions
copy'n'paste-as-new-image correctly copies the selected region of the source image.

but the actual mechanism/trick used to draw the selection-outline marching-ants for it no longer works on MacOS 11, and it is this mechanism/trick we need to replace.

Easiest thing to try is make your fuzzy selection, then toggle 'quick-mask and see what is there.
or open the selection editor dock `Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Selection Editor which should show the selection.

I have the same problem. I updated the Operating System to Big Sur and kaputt...no more fuzzy select tool...
How did you solve the problem? Should I install an older Gimp version?
Did you read post#14. The selection should be there, just the crawling / marching / marquee border does not show. You might see it if you toggle quick-mask on / off.

Should you go back to an earlier Gimp version ? It is probably because of the Big Sur update but you can try.
(08-10-2021, 10:20 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Did you read post#14. The selection should be there, just the crawling / marching / marquee border does not show. You might see it if you toggle quick-mask on / off.

Should you go back to an earlier Gimp version ? It is probably because of the Big Sur update but you can try.

Thanks for your reply. It’s not useful to me the fuzzy select tool if I cannot see the marquee. I will try downgrading Gimp first and if is doesn’t work, I’ll have to go back to MacOS Catalina…
View -> Show Selection
A Gimp 2.10 MacOS problem, now fixed.

Using an Apple Mac and bigsur ? Then get the latest Gimp 2.10.28 from http://www.gimp.org
(02-14-2021, 10:53 AM)jqturner Wrote: Gimptropy
[quote pid='21413' dateline='1610174966']
I know this thread is old, but this is the first one to come up when I search this problem, and I wanted to add one timely issue regarding the malfunctioning of Gimp tools, leading me to create a rule of thumb that I have had to use more than once: if something isn't working, check out the developer's main website.

[/quote]

6/17/2023
    I noticed a similar development.  Sometimes the FUZZY tool would work....sometimes.
And, when it DID work....the  "marching ants " were not visible.
garystan