Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flickering colors and tools bug
hello everyone

I usually manage to troubleshoot on my own by searching on the internet
but I'm comming here because I really don't know what to do anymore ;-;

gimp sometimes freaks out, switching tools back and forth when (for example) I hit the edges of a toolbox 
it started doing this around version 2.8 or 2.6(?)

I used to click on tools to reset the behaviour and go back at drawing
it wasn't something I couldn't work around
but now, it came to a point I absolutely cant draw anymore

I do 2 strokes, and suddenly the brush start flickering between colors and tools

it also fixates on the tool options doing that highlight 
as if there's something important for me to check there

I tried:
- uninstalling and reinstalling gimp 
- same for the tablet driver

- preferences>tool options>reset saved tool options to default values
- preferences>input devices>reset saved tool options to default values
- turning off my mouse and touchpad in case they were interfering
- deleting the gimp folder in my %appdata% to get rid any 'user profile' info
- and ofc I restarted my pc multiple times while trying all these things..

I tought maybe my tablet died... so I bought a new one which didn't arrived yet..
but then I tried using my friend's tablet to see if the problem would solve- nope! the issue is the same!
I tought maybe it's my pc's issue so I tried installing krita and see if the issue happens there (using my old tablet)... and nope! 
I can work on krita just fine!

so I'm considering to abandon Gimp...
but I've grown using only Gimp since 2008 ..it's frustrating..

thank you so much for your time and attention <3<3
(sorry for any spelling mistake, english isn't my first language)
_____
PC and tablet info:

old tablet: Wacom Bamboo CTL-470 
new incoming tablet: Wacom One Small 
PC: Omen 15-dc
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.21 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
AFAIK, most occurrences of such problems have been found to come from:
  • Hardware:
    • Plain defective, such as worn out contacts that "bounce" and send multiple strokes/clicks or stuck keys
    • Doing strange things, like for instance that Logitech mouse that appears to the PC as a mouse+keyboard and actually sends keyboard keystrokes
  • Software that intercepts the flow of events:
    • Session recorders
    • Security software
Gimp uses mouse/keyboard more intensively than other software so is the first to demonstrate trouble. Usually it's Gimp that tells me that my mouse batteries are dying.

To debug all this, a first thing to do is to spot a repeatable misbehavior, figure out what mouse/keyboard event is supposed to trigger this in Gimp, and then wonder how that event is produced.
(07-19-2021, 07:11 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: AFAIK, most occurrences of such problems have been found to come from:
  • Hardware:
    • Plain defective, such as worn out contacts that "bounce" and send multiple strokes/clicks or stuck keys
    • Doing strange things, like for instance that Logitech mouse that appears to the PC as a mouse+keyboard and actually sends keyboard keystrokes
    • Session recorders
    • Security software
Gimp uses mouse/keyboard more intensively than other software so is the first to demonstrate trouble. Usually it's Gimp that tells me that my mouse batteries are dying.

To debug all this, a first thing to do is to spot a repeatable misbehavior, figure out what mouse/keyboard event is supposed to trigger this in Gimp, and then wonder how that event is produced.

thank you very much <3<3 I'm gonna do my research around it
(07-19-2021, 09:16 AM)NightHare Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 07:11 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: AFAIK, most occurrences of such problems have been found to come from:
  • Hardware:
    • Session recorders
    • Security software

thank you very much <3<3 I'm gonna do my research around it

I tried: 
- using a usb port that I never use (so it's basically new)
- turning off every gimp shortcut
- turn off mouse and touchpad (can't turn off the keyboard for some reason)

none of those worked

there was a recent windows update
I'm afraid it's comming from that
I'm thinking about saving all my work and reboot the laptop u-u;