Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The little forum that could
Hard to answer this because, even if I take a look at our Alexa ratings, I am not making them my only purpose in life.. They are just one of many indications of the health/attractiveness of GF. I'm more interested in one person saying "thanks" and thinking that Gimp is a great program with a nice community/user tribe/ecosystem/whatever buzzword than in 10K visits (and since we don't intend to make money out of GF, too many visitors would increase out operating costs...)(*). So, maybe GF is ahead, but it could be luck.

Personally, looking at GL, it looks much like GC's kid brother, so why would people use GL and not the more established GC? By contrast, GF defines itself as "not GC": less social talk, and straight, accurate and to the point answers, with demo/proof images and videos, and somewhat more in-depths explanations (why, instead of just how...). So if you want GL to rise, it has to find a way to distinguish itself from:
  • chatty GimpChat
  • techie Gimp-Forum
  • reddit's r/Gimp (which isn't that bad...)
  • Q&A-mill GraphicDesign/SuperUser
  • zombie GimpTalk & GimpForums
  • tumbleweed Gimper.net
  • hidden gimp-user mailing list
  • aesthetically challenged GimpUsers.com
  • possible help sections on nable.com and other such sites

Rather crowded place, eh?

(*) Around $7.20 a month, currently.
that sounds way too hard hehe... I'll just let it sit wherever it wants to sit.
So I had a lonely spammer this morning.
Because this spammer hasn't been reported to stopforumspam.com yet i had to manually report him/her to stopforumspam.com.
Then I looked for an extension and now i can easily click a button to report spammers and then just delete the spammer on GL along with their posts.
I really link the added extension it makes reporting to stopforumspam a breeze.
I think i am looking forward to the next new spammer to be the forefront of spammer reporting (since i no longer have to manually report them).
(11-17-2017, 07:22 PM)trandoductin Wrote: So I had a lonely spammer this morning.
Because this spammer hasn't been reported to stopforumspam.com yet i had to manually report him/her to stopforumspam.com.
Then I looked for an extension and now i can easily click a button to report spammers and then just delete the spammer on GL along with their posts.
I really link the added extension it makes reporting to stopforumspam a breeze.
I think i am looking forward to the next new spammer to be the forefront of spammer reporting (since i no longer have to manually report them).

keep taking the pills Wink
I don't understand the reference to the pills unless you meant the spammer who was killainpills@gmail.com and the user name was killainpills hehehe
The real purpose of SFS is to make it part of the registration process. Looking at its logs it rejects 30 users/day... about 5600 since April 1st.
this extension i added does act as part of registration process as well.
but it's the new spammers that haven't been identified on SFS that got through.

wo w that's a lot of spammers that have been rejected.
Tadaaa... After months of hovering a bit above the 2-million mark, we jumped to 1.5M...
That's awesome.
my forum is hanging around 4.1 millionth for a long time now.