Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to anchor dockable dialogs?
I'm getting a bit annoyed by dockable dialogs always falling off and becoming an independent object in the interface when I touch them with my pen. Is there a way to anchor the dockable dialogs once the interface is to my liking?

Basically I'm trying to prevent the 1-2 step as seen in the two images below.

Attached Files Image(s)

gimp 2 10 move tool tabs - https://youtu.be/01PeLL1F8Kg?t=180
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Quote:..I'm getting a bit annoyed by dockable dialogs always falling off and becoming an independent object in the interface when I touch them with my pen. Is there a way to anchor the dockable dialogs once the interface is to my liking?...

Very easily done with a graphics tablet (or a dodgy mouse)
I have done this procedure since Gimp 2.8 came along with the single window mode.

What you need to do.
[1) Set Gimp up exactly the way you want it to start. Position of docks (far too many by default), theme and icon size, small things like the font and font size, brush / size / shape, and the tool you want to start with.

For example this is my start up. Looks a lot like Gimp 2.8.  Yes, in my opinion that is an economical layout for my work, but I do like tool groups.

(2) Then look at the little left pointing arrow for each tab in turn. Use the Lock option.

(3) Into the Edit -> Preferences and....
In the Tool Options section. Untick Save Tool Options on Exit  Click on Save Tool Options Now
into Window Management section  Untick Save window position on Exit  Click on Save Window Positions Now
into Input Devices section Untick Save input device settings on exit  Click on Save Save Input Device Settings Now

Click on the OK button to close the Preferences dialogue.

If you want to go back there is always that "Reset button in each of the sections.

Restart Gimp to confirm the settings.
With Gimp 2.10 and tool groups some tools will always change depending on last used, typically the transform tools group.

...on the other hand, for Windows users... http://i.imgur.com/g6iCazi.jpg