Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi - been along time.
It's been years since I was on here, but I noticed something that has me wondering: Gimp, like Photoshop, has Modes for each of its Paint tools (Darken, Lighten, Etc.), yet when I try to access these modes, the box stays locked. Not sure how to unlock it? Attachment included.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

-Bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:Gimp, like Photoshop, has Modes for each of its Paint tools (Darken, Lighten, Etc.), yet when I try to access these modes, the box stays locked.

Disabled because you are using the Smudge tool, not a Paint tool. The Eraser tool is similar.

You can use the Smudge tool in a 'paint' type mode when the Flow setting is greater than zero. In that case, paint on a new layer and set the layer mode.
(12-21-2021, 08:34 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:Gimp, like Photoshop, has Modes for each of its Paint tools (Darken, Lighten, Etc.), yet when I try to access these modes, the box stays locked.

Disabled because you are using the Smudge tool, not a Paint tool. The Eraser tool is similar.

You can use the Smudge tool in a 'paint' type mode when the Flow setting is greater than zero. In that case, paint on a new layer and set the layer mode.

Thank you very much. That was very helpful.

Follow up question: Where is the FLOW setting? I didn't see it as a choice in the tools when I had was using the blur tool. I don't see an option to upload a pic in this post, but there was not anything mentioning FLOW in all the settings - I looked at all of them - so there was also no ability to use blur took in PAINT mode, since I couldn't find flow.
Quote:.. Where is the FLOW setting? I didn't see it as a choice in the tools when I had was using the blur tool.

Your Gimp setup does not help, you have a wide but shallow Tool Options dock. Using The smudge tool, scroll down, the flow slider is at the bottom.

AFAIK there is no Gimp blur brush, as mentioned earlier the smudge tool will paint with the foreground (FG) color when the flow setting is more than zero.

In Gimp 2.10, as well as the Gimp brush set there is the MyPaint brushes, different again. Some of these will blend, Water brushes and in the example the knife brush.

This animation with three 20 second clips https://i.imgur.com/ixd6taL.mp4
The regular smudge tool.
The smudge tool, with a small (4) flow setting, and a FG color
The MyPaint knife brush,

Quote:so there was also no ability to use blur took in PAINT mode, since I couldn't find flow.
IMHO The only way to get a good blur is make a selection and blur the selected area, but it depends what is required. You will have to experiment.