Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G'MIC 3.0
Hi, is there any that we will seriously miss in G'MIC 3.0? I have Windows 10 and I have not updated GIMP or G'MIC in a while. Because thankfully, my workflow is very stable. Do you think I should try the latest GIMP and G'MIC? Thanks.

Have a great 2022 Smile
(01-01-2022, 11:24 AM)meetdilip Wrote: Hi, is there any that we will seriously miss in G'MIC 3.0? I have Windows 10 and I have not updated GIMP or G'MIC in a while. Because thankfully, my workflow is very stable. Do you think I should try the latest GIMP and G'MIC? Thanks.

Have a great 2022 Smile

All depends on your requirements.

I still mainly use kubuntu 18.04 with a Gimp 2.10.22 appimage, which does everything I need,  but with a gimp_gmic_qt 3.0.1 That has a few improvements. There is a new denoise filter which is promising, worth the update.

Also have a kubuntu 20.04, with Gimp 2.10.30 from the ubuntu Panda Jim PPA,. Gimp 2.10.30 is looking a little flaky in some respects. I would not rush to update.
Thanks. I will wait.

Is it possible to say an approximate release date for 3.0? Just curious. Smile
(01-01-2022, 01:20 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Is it possible to say an approximate release date for 3.0? Just curious. Smile

I shall consult the oracle Wink

ha ha

I should have guessed Big Grin
(01-01-2022, 01:20 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Is it possible to say an approximate release date for 3.0? Just curious. Smile

That, IMO, is a very worthwhile question!!   Just recently I started launching  gimp from a terminal (linux) while trying to track down a cause for bad behavior, and have noticed a series of soft errors, complaining that a particular plug-in is installing with a full path as menu label, being deprecated and will be an error in gimp 3

And, that forces one to ponder just how close gimp 3 might be. Obviously it is close enough that they are incorporating point specific warnings in the messaging of the current edition......but to be honest I have no idea how long that has been going on, because I just started monitoring the launch process, and the reported errors do not appear to affect gimp once launched, they just blurt out their report along the way to an otherwise uneventful launch. (fwiw)

(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu/script-fu) is installing procedure "script-fu-grid-guides" with a full menu path "<Image>/Image/Guides/Grid" as menu label, this deprecated and will be an error in GIMP 3.0

These are script-fu and easily fixed, a matter of (mostly) adding a line at the end of the registration. Edit: an example https://i.imgur.com/L9DdfuE.png
Python plugins (currently python 2.7) requiring update to python 3 are another matter.
Wow, I'll have to give that a try.  I guess that I am fortunate that the instances I'm experiencing are all script-fu, not python.

As always, your input is much appreciated!

has that "...will be an error in Gimp 3" advisory been around for a long time, or can that message be interpreted as threatened progress?

I have seen that message for a long time. Not sure if quite from the beginning of the 2.10 series.