Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP writes a lot of data to SSD (C:) while opening (fresh install)
Hello there,
I installed GIMP to my HDD (D:) drive but it writes a lot of data to the SSD (C:) drive instead.
Please tell me if there's any method of making it write to HDD instead of the SSD, to increase the SSD's longevity.
SSD life is mostly dictated by the number of writes, rather than the number of reads, so once installed even though Windows Gimp occupies 1 GB, in some 13000 files, it is all read. Writes are in your Gimp user profile, a few configuration files.

Edit: An easy way to keep everything self contained is using a Portable Version of Gimp. One of the best is Gimp 2.10.30 https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/
and https://www.aljacom.com/~gimp/Gimp-2.10....bit-Win.7z
sorry this was off topic
(01-06-2022, 08:38 AM)Hidetoshi6721 Wrote: Hello there,
I installed GIMP to my HDD (DSmile drive but it writes a lot of data to the SSD (CSmile drive instead.
Please tell me if there's any method of making it write to HDD instead of the SSD, to increase the SSD's longevity.

This is 2022. SSD wear is much less of a problem. IMHO Windows itself wears out your SSD a lot more than Gimp will ever do.

This said, on first start, Gimp creates your user profile, so this entails some disk write activity. Once this is done the only writes to this area are to save your session data, but the amount of date is small  (a few K).

The one thing that can make Gimp do a lot of disk writes is the "tile cache". When Gimp runs out of RAM it starts a swapping system of its own but in practice, we have so much RAM these days that is is rarely used, if your Gimp is setup properly (Edit  > Preferences > System resources > Resource Consumption) (in fact when Gimp starts to use it is slows down noticeably...). If this worries you, you can move the swap file elsewhere (Edit > Preferences > Folders).
(01-06-2022, 10:27 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 08:38 AM)Hidetoshi6721 Wrote: Hello there,
I installed GIMP to my HDD (D:) drive but it writes a lot of data to the SSD (C:) drive instead.

This is 2022. SSD wear is much less of a problem. IMHO Windows itself wears out your SSD a lot more than Gimp will ever do.

This said, on first start, Gimp creates your user profile, so this entails some disk write activity. Once this is done the only writes to this area are to save your session data, but the amount of date is small  (a few K).

The one thing that can make Gimp do a lot of disk writes is the "tile cache". When Gimp runs out of RAM it starts a swapping system of its own but in practice, we have so much RAM these days that is is rarely used, if your Gimp is setup properly (Edit  > Preferences > System resources > Resource Consumption) (in fact when Gimp starts to use it is slows down noticeably...). If this worries you, you can move the swap file elsewhere (Edit > Preferences > Folders).

Well, if the value is in K on the next starts, I don't care about it. TBH that's very small. I moved the swap file to the HDD. Thanks for the assistance :)