Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freezing and then crashing...
Sad 
While using the airbrush, as I shift/left click to advance a line, Gimp freezes and then I have to manually crash the program, losing all my session's work. I tried waiting for it to come back, but I always have to start everything again. I use the paintbrush to avoid that. Gimp also freezes if I shake the mouse too rapidly while erasing. I can understand it's a constantly improving program, and I'm happy to be a user, so I do tolerate it to certain point. It is damn frustrating. I always have trepidation using Gimp for that reason, and I am constantly manually saving. Sometimes though, you just get focused on the task and forget to save for a while, and that's when it happens. I think the program is great, it's really helped me out working with .DDS files and creating Composites from the RGB channels, it's brilliant, but the freezing, ugh.... What can I do here besides avoid those features of the program? I have a I 7 with 16gig of RAM. The largest files were 8192 x 8192 and possibly 50 layers. But it's happend on smaller files too. Any suggestions? Thanks.
(01-27-2022, 02:16 AM)Douglas Wrote: While using the airbrush, as I shift/left click to advance a line, Gimp freezes and then I have to manually crash the program, losing all my session's work. I tried waiting for it to come back, but I always have to start everything again. I use the paintbrush to avoid that. Gimp also freezes if I shake the mouse too rapidly while erasing. I can understand it's a constantly improving program, and I'm happy to be a user, so I do tolerate it to certain point. It is damn frustrating. I always have trepidation using Gimp for that reason, and I am constantly manually saving. Sometimes though, you just get focused on the task and forget to save for a while, and that's when it happens. I think the program is great, it's really helped me out working with .DDS files and creating Composites from the RGB channels, it's brilliant, but the freezing, ugh.... What can I do here besides avoid those features of the program? I have a I 7 with 16gig of RAM. The largest files were 8192 x 8192 and possibly 50 layers. But it's happend on smaller files too. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Which version of GIMP? where did you get it from? Which operating system?
(01-27-2022, 05:06 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 02:16 AM)Douglas Wrote: While using the airbrush, as I shift/left click to advance a line, Gimp freezes and then I have to manually crash the program, losing all my session's work. I tried waiting for it to come back, but I always have to start everything again. I use the paintbrush to avoid that. Gimp also freezes if I shake the mouse too rapidly while erasing. I can understand it's a constantly improving program, and I'm happy to be a user, so I do tolerate it to certain point. It is damn frustrating.  I always have trepidation using Gimp for that reason, and I am constantly manually saving. Sometimes though, you just get focused on the task and forget to save for a while, and that's when it happens. I think the program is great, it's really helped me out working with .DDS files and creating Composites from the RGB channels, it's brilliant, but the freezing, ugh.... What can I do here besides avoid those features of the program? I have a I 7 with 16gig of RAM. The largest files were 8192 x 8192 and possibly 50 layers. But it's happend on smaller files too. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gimp Version 2.10.22. I downloaded it from the official Gimp.org, and I have Windows 10.0.19043 64bit. Just upgrading to the current stable version of Gimp which is 2.10.30. I've been using Gimp for about 2 years now. I love it.
(01-28-2022, 02:36 AM)Douglas Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 05:06 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 02:16 AM)Douglas Wrote: While using the airbrush, as I shift/left click to advance a line, Gimp freezes and then I have to manually crash the program, losing all my session's work. I tried waiting for it to come back, but I always have to start everything again. I use the paintbrush to avoid that. Gimp also freezes if I shake the mouse too rapidly while erasing. I can understand it's a constantly improving program, and I'm happy to be a user, so I do tolerate it to certain point. It is damn frustrating.  I always have trepidation using Gimp for that reason, and I am constantly manually saving. Sometimes though, you just get focused on the task and forget to save for a while, and that's when it happens. I think the program is great, it's really helped me out working with .DDS files and creating Composites from the RGB channels, it's brilliant, but the freezing, ugh.... What can I do here besides avoid those features of the program? I have a I 7 with 16gig of RAM. The largest files were 8192 x 8192 and possibly 50 layers. But it's happend on smaller files too. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gimp Version 2.10.22. I downloaded it from the official Gimp.org, and I have Windows 10.0.19043 64bit. Just upgrading to the current stable version of Gimp which is 2.10.30. I've been using Gimp for about 2 years now. I love it.

Does V2.10.30 fail in the same way?
programmer_ceds
(01-28-2022, 02:36 AM)Douglas Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 05:06 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: Which version of GIMP? where did you get it from? Which operating system?

Does V2.10.30 fail in the same way?

So far no. But I am currently on another project and the workspace is not as large. I suspect 8192x8192 with multiple layers was the issue? I will report back if I have any further problems. Thank you for your replies.